Joindiaspora crisis

@frodelindeijer, the content of the front page is the responsibility of the person who maintains that pod. It’s not a diaspora* project resource - like all pods, it is independent.

diaspora*'s project site is at https://diasporafoundation.org/

I just wanted to say: hurrah, all the performance problems with joindiaspora are now solved, with huge thanks to @zauberstuhl for fixing it all, and to Maxwell for transferring ownership.

One problem to me is that there is no central login/register site. Googling for diaspora will lead you to joindiaspora. So it appears to be THE official diaspora site.

What would be better is to use a central register/login site (maybe on diasporafoundation.com?).
When wanting to register you are proposed that you could

1. Setup your own pod if you like
  2. Ask a knowledgable friend to set one up
  3. Choose from a list

The list should include information about privacy rating, …

Also, when logging in it would be advantageous to have a central site to do so. When signing in as ***@joindiaspora.org it would simply redirect the request to the proper pod.
Advantages:

• When pod is down user does not sit in front of a non-working diaspora. He can be informed that “Your pod is currently down. If this happens to often consider migrating your account.”
  • A user does not need to remember weird pod site names.
  • It boosts the central diaspora site to be the hit for google results

I personally am on joindiaspora. I’d have no way of finding out that there are privacy issues. Maybe it would be good to have a box on the pod page that is connected to the central information list. So when a privacy, fraud or anything happens, the user can be informed directly on the pod site, potentially proposing her/him to migrate to another more secure pod.

Edit: Privacy issues could also be handed to the user on the main diaspora homepage, right when she/he is logging in.

@timoses there is no privacy issues anymore, the pod is now hosted in Germany without any American service being used.

Your idea is not a good one because it will bring a single point of failure which is exactly what we’re trying to avoid building a decentralize network

Hi Ellen, thanks for your comment. If you look at the date of Roger’s comment that you quoted, you’ll see that it was made before Let’s Encrypt existed. Many pods do now indeed use Let’s Encrypt, and it’s even suggested in Diaspora’s FAQ for pod maintainers.

I think it would be already a good step forward if in the documentation for podmin they would give a rough estimate of how many users a server with a specific configuration could host. For example I’m the podmin of diasporing.ch and I have a dual core with 6gb of ram, what could be my user limit?
Same for sidekiq workers absolutely no information about how many of them you need for a particular installation. The diaspora.yml file only tells you to increase it with a moderate sized pod.

1 Like