Make Diaspora a Member of the Free Software Support Network

@maxwellsalzberg I wasn’t really disagreeing about the buzz regarding the foundation, was just trying to say that bundled with a crowd-funding campaign it will be a lot bigger :slight_smile:

Totally agree to your comments and I also agree that the time for the crowd-funding campaign is as good as ever. Life is too short to be afraid, especially of the negative feedback of others. The situation is totally different from the last crowd-funding, but the reasons are the same. As Maxwell put it - hope and a better social future. We can use this opportunity to draw attention to the project once more.

But anyway, whatever we decide it needs to be done with a vote. That is what has been agreed as our governance model, and if we fail to follow our own rules, we will fail the community project only after one year :slight_smile:

Proposal: Approved creation of Foundation with involvement of FSSN as described

Do you agree with the proposal to create a Diaspora Foundation as described in Maxwell’s message?

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 0
  • Abstain: 0
  • No: 0
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

Proposal: Vote on proposals re creation of foundation

Please read carefully as there are four voting options - make sure you vote for the correct one.

YES - I AGREE with the proposal to create a foundation with involvement of FSSN as described, and I AGREE with the proposal to have a crowd-funding initiative now as described.
ABSTAIN - I AGREE with the proposal to create a foundation with involvement of FSSN as described, but I DISAGREE with the proposal to have a crowd-funding initiative now as described.
NO - I DISAGREE with the proposal to create a foundation with involvement of FSSN as described, but I AGREE with the proposal to have a crowd-funding initiative now as described.
BLOCK - I DISAGREE with the proposal to create a foundation with involvement of FSSN as described, and I DISAGREE with the proposal to have a crowd-funding initiative now as described.

Feel free to give reasons/details about your position when voting.

Outcome: Proposal closed due to incorrect wording. See replacement proposal.

Votes:

• Yes: 3
  • Abstain: 2

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

I’ve created a proposal timed to finish on the morning (GMT) of 27 August, to give people as much time as possible to vote, and still give time to make any announcements on the anniversary.

Can we bump the close date of the proposals? I do think they should all be resolved in time for the anniversary, but some work will be needed to adjust some messaging in the event of either, which will take time. I’d propose Friday.

One note: “create a foundation with involvement of FSSN” is wrong. What we are doing here (I guess most of the work is already done…) is NOT the process of founding a foundation. It’s transfering all ownership to the FSSN, which is a non-profit as in 501©(3) Internal Revenue Code.

@dennisschubert +1 on clarification, that is correct.

Actually, I should have said this before, but we need to agree on what our governance is, either before or after this vote, but before actually ‘creating’ a foundation.
Unless I’ve missed it somewhere, our governance so far is just ‘that we will take decisions on loomio’, which isn’t sufficient. We need people responsible for ensuring that decisions are acted on, and we need people who will actually implement the decisions about spending money, and all the legal and formal stuff. That probably requires some kind of council and elections…

@nickdowson this legal help and guidance is provided by the FSSN (and through the SFLC) Nothing is mandated by them other than having some stable leadership so they have only a few touchpoints (which could rotate on a stable schedule)

@maxwellsalzberg - regardless, we still need to agree how we are going to do that (are we going to stick with our informal leadership, or are going to actually have a process for that?)

http://libcom.org/library/tyranny-structurelessness-jo-freeman !

Apologies for the unclear wording. I’ll close this proposal before too many people vote on it and open a new one, as this issue is so crucial that we need absolute clarity. Sorry to those who have already voted; please cast your votes again.

Proposal: Votes on Maxwell’s proposals re FSSN and crowd-funding

Please read carefully as there are four voting options - make sure you vote for the correct one.

YES - I AGREE with the proposal to join FSSN and transfer ownership and assets of Diaspora to them as described, and I AGREE with the proposal to have a crowd-funding initiative immediately as described.
ABSTAIN - I AGREE with the proposal to join FSSN and transfer ownership and assets of Diaspora to them as described, but I DISAGREE with the proposal to have a crowd-funding initiative immediately as described.
NO - I DISAGREE with the proposal to join FSSN and transfer ownership and assets of Diaspora to them as described, but I AGREE with the proposal to have a crowd-funding initiative immediately as described.
BLOCK - I DISAGREE with the proposal to join FSSN and transfer ownership and assets of Diaspora to them as described, and I DISAGREE with the proposal to have a crowd-funding initiative immediately as described.

Feel free to give reasons/details about your position when voting, as we need absolute clarity about everyone’s position on this.

Outcome: Looks like everyone’s really excited about the FSSN proposal, but it’s not quite the right time to fund-raise just yet.

My suggestion is to get the FSSN in place and publicised, and then discuss how and why we can raise funds.

Votes:

• Yes: 16
  • Abstain: 32

@maxwellsalzberg @seantilleycommunit @dennisschubert @brentbartlett sorry, you’ll need to cast your votes again.

@goob - actually, know we have restarted the vote, could we stop it properly and discuss what community governance will actually look like (or how we are going to decide that) - I think that’s quite important to how to vote on the proposal?

@nickdowson +1 on this being an important but -1 on it blocking the acceptance. The primary thing that would change ASAP is the ownership of the assets, but we can take charge over how these are controlled, as there is not a rush to change our day to day governance style, so IMHO we have time to hammer it out.

@maxwellsalzberg - yep, happy to go along with that, though I think in that case we should discuss this concretely pretty shortly - it might help clear the air a bit as well

Ok, @maxwellsalzberg - changing topic again - 10,000 will not sponsor 4 people for 6 months I don’t think. Do you?

$10,000 was originally just a baseline. It’s easy enough to raise 10,000, as it’s low-hanging fruit these days compared to the half-million to multi-million dollar fundraisers. We can always raise before kicking things off of necessary.

@nickdowson the time could be adjusted. The original idea was 10k for 4 people for 3 months, so we could do that… I also have a hunch we can do better than 10k, but thats just mean. I thought six months (or a year) might be more ‘stable’ for a ‘fellows’ program, but I thought just like our original campaign, we can adjust.

The four of us made it happen at that rate for almost two years, so I am sure we can work something out.

*thats just me, not mean :slight_smile: