New pod, can't start server, Ident authentication failed?

Starting the server for the first time, after following the CentOS 7 install instructions.

The following looks predictable…

E, [... #2015] ERROR -- : [diaspora:web] exit status 1, process <2206> (from /home/diaspora/diaspora/tmp/pids/web.pid) was not found; ensure that the pid_file is being updated correctly (you should check the process logs ["/home/diaspora/diaspora/log/eye_processes_stdout .log", "/home/diaspora/diaspora/log/eye_processes_stderr.log"])
E, [... #2015] ERROR -- : [diaspora:web] process <> failed to start (:not_really_running)

And here are the seemingly interesting lines from eye_processes_stdout .log:

bin/bundle:3:in `load'
bin/bundle:3:in `<main>'
master failed to start, check stderr log for details
master failed to start, check stderr log for details
FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "diaspora"

I had an earlier issue with my postgresql password containing special characters, and quotes were added to it in config/database.yml. That allowed me to complete the setup instructions for database setup… but something still seems to be a little off with postgresql.

Thank you for your help,
-Luna

Did you also adapt the password in the postgreSQL database (and not only in config/database.yml) ?

I found the CentOS howto a bit confusing on some points. Maybe you can try again with the #NethServer howto (Also CentOS 7 based)
Some commands are NethServer specific, but my pod is running on a NS instance and all is working like a charm.

As far as I know, the password is correct in postgresql.

I’ve ended up editing /var/lib/psql/data/pg_hba.conf:

# "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
#local   all             all                                     peer
local   all             all                                     md5
# IPv4 local connections:
#host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            ident
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
# IPv6 local connections:
#host    all             all             ::1/128                 ident
host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5

This completely changed my experience with db:create and db:migrate. They appear to do useful things now!
Of course, it’s likely broken postgresql for anything else expecting the more automatic authentication methods?

Oh, and the configure services section of the NethServer documentation was wonderful, and should possibly be added to the CentOS 7 documentation? Thank you for that!

Now if only I saw anything when I start diaspora and try hitting the main page. But that’s another issue, I’m sure.

@lunagloaming, I saw your conv on IRC. I don’t know what other services you have running on your CentOS server, but if you are willing to follow the NethServer howto, I know it works flawlessly. Only major difference is using Apache instead of Nginx.
You could even install NS packages on top of your current CentOS7 install, however, if possible I would opt for a fresh install on top of a CentOS minimal install or use the NS ISO installer.

Actually, the NethServer howto was a big help. Especially since it covered getting systemctl to work with Diaspora*, and the CentOS 7 one kinda skips that last step.

We eventually got it to work with the stock tmp/diaspora.sock, I just had to learn about audit2why and audit2allow.

Thank you so much for your help and pointing me to the NethServer variant. I wasn’t aware of it before.

I know I am slightly biased about NethServer. It is my main opensource project I contribute to as a community guy.
I am glad you got it running. Happy podminning… :smiley: