#Pinning A #Post

If I might make a #suggestion to the #Diaspora* coders & #podmin’s:

It would be really helpful were there the possibilty to #pin a post, to keep it in your sight whilst the #stream is floating past. For instance, I have two posts I remember I wanted to comment when I read them, but not right then. Now, a mere week since, it’s virtually impossible to find them again. #Pinning a post would also help #concentrate on the #discussions you’re interested in, and not - as it is today - #forget what was on your mind, what you wanted to say, because of the constant #influx of new topics.

One might say that once you added a #comment to a post it stays afloat. In fact it doesn’t. It keeps its head above the water as long as somebody says something. But after just a little period of silence it drowns like all the others, and the stream prevails. Which is rather counterproductive.

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

I also miss this feature which I found in Libertree. In addition, there could be several “pin board”, named by user, just like aspects, but for posts.

I agree and would call it “bookmark a post”.

But for the meantime, Birne, maybe the stream “my latest activities” could help you. It helped me a bit in this case.

I think it is a great idea. Would allow to highlight import posts from user’s account perspective.

I also think this is a great idea, because it is really difficult to find posts you read earlier, if you don’t bookmark them in your browser. Pinning would be a good middleway.

So pinning a post means adding a private bookmark? Since that would mean that it is not federated and also not visible to other users one might be able to implement it with a reasonable amount of code changes.

We would have a new icon for posts to pin/unpin them. Pinning a post means adding the user id and post id to the database and unpinning a post means removing the entry. A user would have a stream with all posts they pinned.

If not a solution via cookies and some Javascript on the client side would suffice. Somewhere in my browser tab I see icons for the posts I’ve pinned, and every once in a while the browser sends an update request to the server. Then, if there has been an update, the respective icon changes its color or some such. And when I click on the icon I get the whole view in the same way as it is displayed now. From my perspective the changes to the code would be minimal. An additional database query on the server side, a little tinkering with the frontend scripts, some additional Javascript functions for the client, and that’s it. I may be wrong, but that’s the way I’d approach the issue.

And of course the additional pin/unpin icon you’re suggesting.

Basically, I don’t think this would be much different from the likes system. I currently use it sometimes when I want to something like bookmark a post. So some pieces of code used to like a post can be reused to implement a bookmark feature.

I’m pretty sure that it was originally possible to pin posts in Diaspora, but this got removed at some point - possibly being replaced by ‘like’. I have no objection to ‘pinning’ being (re-)implemented if there’s a desire for it.

The Like feature is different from what I’m having in mind. Pinning would mean that the post in question never “drowns” with the stream. Pinning would mean keeping a post in your sight as long as you want/ need it.

I would have an icon somewhere indicating this post, and this icon will be there until I unpin the post. Right of the stream div (or iframe or whatever it is) there could be a vertical strip for the pinned posts’ icons. Or it could be integrated into the “buddies” sidebar.

The Like feature is different from what I’m having in mind. Pinning would mean that the post in question never “drowns” with the stream. Pinning would mean keeping a post in your sight as long as you want/ need it.

I’m not talking about using like for pinning, but just reuse the code of the like system to implement a pinning as the two feature are close to each other.

Yes, I understand that. But in the depths of my memory, the one function was replaced by the other (or at least, pinning was removed and likes came in).

What would argue against reimplementing it? From what I can tell (which may not be much though) there’s no reason why the two features couldn’t co-exist.

Like for most things that get talked about, even if opinions differ on whether something is needed, usually because the people would or would not need it themselves, if working and sanely written code is submitted as a PR - it will be merged in :wink:

So, you’re saying that unless somebody is a coder, especially versed in the language(s) D* is written in, he should shut up? That’s rather small-minded, wouldn’t you agree? Or did I just miss the satire in your comment?

So, you’re saying that unless somebody is a coder, especially versed in the language(s) D* is written in, he should shut up?

No. That’s absolutely not what he said. What he said is that it is a new feature hence, if it is developed, nobody will oppose it be merged because, as it is a new feature, it will be very useful for at least one person. But the code has to not interfere with the existent one and be correctly developed. That’s the only requirement.

Basically, we are not magician. We all do what we can and some of us spend a huge amount of time developing for diaspora even if it’s done on free time. There are tons of features we would like to implement but so few time to implement them.

What he said is that it is a new feature hence, if it is developed, nobody will oppose it be merged because, as it is a new feature, it will be very useful for at least one person

Yep. Unless of course someone does block then we vote. But, I’d be surprised if someone blocked a feature like this if well implemented.

I really miss a feature like that. Though I would much prefer some sort of bookmarking in a seperate view/menu to a pinning, which just makes the pinned post float on top of your stream.

For good ideas about how to make this (although with more code) have a look at Libertree “pools” and “springs” : a pool : a personnal ‘folder’ of posts bookmarks, “springs” : public folder of posts bookmarks

@Till I think we’re talking of the same. When you scroll up you’ll find that what you describe as bookmark matches my projection for a pinning feature.