Planned project infrastructure downtime in between March 1st and March 2nd

Hi everyone.

In the night from March 1st to March 2nd, starting at 21:00 UTC until 04:00 UTC, the project infrastructure will be unavailable. Our infrastructure provider is undergoing major datacenter construction, and because of that, our servers will have to be moved from the current, old, datacenter into a freshly-built building.

This downtime will affect

• this Discourse
  • the project website, blog, and wiki

This downtime will not affect any pods and the diaspora* social network will continue uninterrupted!

We’ll try to keep the downtime as short as possible, but given this maintenance involves physically moving multiple racks into a new building, there’s a limit to how fast this can be.

1 Like

Thanks. Would it be worth sharing this via the DHQ account and/or blog? I can do that if you like.

Sure, a DHQ account post sounds like a good idea. Feel free! :slight_smile:

OK, it’s done. I just thought, it might be worth adding the following line:

This downtime will not affect any pods and the diaspora* social network will continue uninterrupted!

Because every time there’s an update announcement a tonne of users ask ‘how do I update my account?’

Oh that’s a very good suggestion, thanks for adding that. I added it into the original post here as well, although everyone can read these comments anyway. Thanks for your help.

An earlier version of the initial post said

• the Gem server set up by the project, which will cause brief interruptions when updating your pod or setting up a new pod, so please don’t do that during this period!

That’s no longer true – we set up redundant infrastructure for this purpose, so even if a podmin starts an upgrade during our planned downtime, everything will be fine.

All done. My monitoring is confident that nothing broke, but if something broke, let me know.

1 Like