Project domain name

I know this doesn’t make sense, having not so long ago launched the whole page, and diasporafoundation.org is used in many places (emails, etc too), but

diaspora.foundation is free

So tempted :smiley: Should we?

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Although I think the “liberalisation” of the TLD namespace is a huge mistake, given that we’re stuck with it, it probably makes sense to get this.

If we’re going to change domain I’d like to get rid of the foundation part actually. So, diaspora.software is already in my preregistrations…

Free as in available, or free as in zero cost?

.foundation is donuts, so probably around 30€/year.

Nice work, Jonne. If we’re considering changing domain name, would it be worth bagging diaspora.network or diaspora.social alongside diaspora.software? Not everyone will be interested in the software side of it.

My feeling : it can be interesting.
My preference : .social
My opinion : I totally agree with you @robinstent , these new possibilities shouldn’t be. It’s only a new way to make money. (That makes me think… finally, should we run into this, especially to promote a free software ?)

I already own diaspora.social and currently redirect it to diasporafoundation.org. It would make a nice pod domain though…

I don’t feel like we need to change the domain name, but we can get it and redirect to diasporafoundation.org

I find diasporafoundation.org pretty hard to read…

While we’re on the subject I notice that diaspora.org although registered, is not in use (just an ad page). I think it’s worth finding out who owns it and trying to negotiate to get hold of it. They might want lots of money for it, they might not, but it’s worth asking the question.

EDIT: The answer is that this company owns it: http://original.com
Their business is buying and selling valuable domains.

I already own diaspora.social and currently redirect it to diasporafoundation.org.

You are a star!

That needed saying.

I notice that diaspora.org although registered, is not in use (just an ad page). I think it’s worth finding out who owns it and trying to negotiate to get hold of it.

At last contact, they were asking I think $150,000. If you fancy stumping up that sum, I’m sure no one would complain!

At last contact, they were asking I think $150,000. If you fancy stumping up that sum, I’m sure no one would complain!

I think I would complain about spending that money on a stupid domain…

I meant if someone was desperate for diaspora to have that domain and that’s what they wanted to spend their personal fortune on, rather than giving it for development, that’s up to them! But no, it’s not what I would choose…

Yeah maybe the foundation word isn’t something we necessarily want to tie into. I’m not sure software is a good word either - except as an alias. social is a good word, but I really like project. diaspora* is more than just software.

Regarding that, someone suggested we start calling the network of diaspora*, Friendica and Redmatrix … The Federation :stuck_out_tongue:

While first the idea felt a bit like a little fun - seriously, would it be a valid idea to consider separating the concepts of software and network in terms of official naming? It’s probably not something we have resources for, unless community from all the three networks came together to it.

A .federation would be cool. It would make think the diaspora* protocol as a standard ! :smiley:

In a conversation I had that was not followed up on yet (as I wanted to see if it was already requested) was for short links automatically available (or at least selectable) for posts. I’d checked and d.io was an available domain name (2, 3 weeks ago).