Public stream via API

Hello!

I’m experimenting with diaspora API and want to build some fun stuff with it.

I noticed that in the usual non-API mode there is an endpoint that shows public posts, e.g. diaspora-fr*

Moreover this endpoint serves the data even when the user is not signed in.

We have API endpoints for streams, but the public stream is absent there. I could add support for it.

But if we wanted to support this API endpoint to be accessible without authorization that would be something new for the application. I think none of the API endpoints so far are available without an access token. Do we want to have any “public” in that sense API endpoints that don’t require authorization? Or is there any concern with it?

If we don’t want to have an API endpoint accessible without an access token, I think we could add it anyway behind the public:read scope. Would that be preferable?

Having a public posts endpoint could be used for building 3rd party applications for diaspora that provide tools for exploration of diaspora content, or in other words helps the user to find the content they might be interested in.

Hello!
I just want to say that it’s really good to see you again. It’s great to hear that you’re poking about with the API.
I hope all’s well with you.
goob

1 Like