Recommend the #newhere tag to new users

When a new user signs up to a pod, the /getting_started screen says:

What are you into?

Try following tags like #art, #movies, #gif, etc

I think it would be good to put the #newhere tag in there too.

Or perhaps better still, auto-populate the form with #newhere and add a simple line of text underneath the box explaining why the #newhere tag has been inserted (and of course provide the option for them to remove it if they wish).

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

yea!! i,m agree

Wasn’t it there before? I remember that I was somehow notified about #newhere during registration. Or at least discovered it pretty early on.

Agreed. I thought it was already auto-populated.

I disagree, that field also populates the profile, I don’t think it makes a good profile tag.

I guess I misunderstood the proposal. I thought it’s about notifying the user about making a post with #newhere tag. Not about putting it in user’s profile.

The former is already done I think. The later is a bad idea.

Recommend the #newhere tag to new users

It’s recommended in the new user tutorials, both at the bottom of the first section and in more detail in the section on sharing.

How many new users read the new user tutorials, though? Suggesting #newhere to new users helps them get into the D* community. This is especially important on this social network, where new users likely only know a few other users, or none at all.

By default you shouldn’t suggest users whom they have to know or not. I think diaspora* already does a good job by proposing to make a post with #newhere. Following it is something that user can decide to or not. But it shouldn’t be a default or suggestion even, since it can be extremely noisy to many and look like spam.

@brentbartlett I agree, I don’t think anyone would read a tutorial until after they’ve signed up and played around with Diaspora for a bit :slight_smile:

@shmerl Why not? We suggest they follow #art, #movies, #gif, etc” so it would make natural sense that we suggest they follow a more important tag if indeed they are new here. What’s the point in having the tag if you’re not going to recommend that new-here people actually use it?

But following #newhere would show you the posts of other people using that tag - it wouldn’t alert other community members to you as a new member. The main use of following that tag is so that you can see, welcome and help new people.

(I too can’t remember what diaspora does when you first sign up.) On joindiaspora at least, the right-hand column has a little snippet:

Welcome New Users
Follow #NewHere and welcome new users to diaspora*!
Learn more

We could potentially amend this text so it’s also addressed to new users so they know that’s where to find help, but like Smerl and Jonne I don’t think we should prod people to add it to the five profile-listed interests.

@Rich: Anyway, I mostly meant not adding it to profile / followed tags by default and let the user decide. Suggesting it isn’t a big issue.

@goob Good point. They should be encouraged to make a #newhere post, but not follow #newhere. I got the two mixed up.

Maybe, it could be a good idea to display a text indicating that the newcommer can post with #newhere tag directly in the fake text of the publisher.

One of the other common mistakes is to post with #newhere but in private. Maybe the “publish” button should display an info-text alerting they are publishing in private for the first post.

How about we add something to the ‘Getting started’ popover about sharing.

At the moment it looks like this (see image).

We could add to this something like:

Try adding the #newhere tag to your first post so our community can welcome you.

Augier, there’s already a getting started popover suggesting that new users make their first post public, but it would not be a bad idea to bring up a reminder about making it public if they press Share on their first post when the visibility is still set to limited.

Augier, there’s already a getting started popover suggesting that new users make their first post public, but it would not be a bad idea to bring up a reminder about making it public if they press Share on their first post when the visibility is still set to limited.

Yeah, I know. It’s another problem to me also… Too much popup that opens on start :confused:
To me (I speak as an hyperactive person) this is too many reading on start, it can be disturbing for poeple with low attention capacities :confused:

Possibly, but I don’t think we should be designing Diaspora only for the stupid…

Possibly, but I don’t think we should be designing Diaspora only for the stupid…

Very kind, thank you…

Try adding the #newhere tag to your first post so our community can welcome you.

Yup, that’d work for me.