Refactoring the Single Post View

@flaburgan yeah let’s finalize the vote then here - we can always cut down the dates or close early, to start voting on finer details.

I think you said you would be able to work on this soon? That would be awesome! Can you take in to account the different details you outlined, so that the code doesn’t lock them up too tight?

Do we really need to wait 20 days for this one, or should we just close it?

@seantilleycommunit we probably are going to close it soon, as there is already a consensus.

I still think this is a huge blocker for prospective new users. Would anyone be interested in working on this? We basically need to explore the following:

• Reusing stream elements to create the post view
  • Stylize post CSS to resemble mockups when necessary
  • Kill extra templates with fire (the mood-picker and related items)
  • Get rid of gross image resizing / stretching
  • Fixes for any tests that get broken in the process.
  • Add location stamp to posts, when applicable

I currently work on refactoring different parts of the UI to familiarize myself with the code. I could start work on the SPV after that.

Wanted to make a quickfix suggestion: while the actual refactoring will probably take a substantial amount of time, one good quick improvement that might make users WAY happier would be to stop turning uploaded images into post backgrounds.

With a small improvement, we could make uploaded images be treated in a post view similarly to how markdown images are treated. At the very least, this would improve the readability of posts, and people could at least see what the entire uploaded picture is.

Thoughts?

Another quickfix: add the header :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed! Neither of those are that difficult to do, I’d be happy to submit a quickfix for either one. :slight_smile:

Absolutely agree we NEED those little fixes. The SVP is just so broken it’s crazy :frowning:

Header and images - biggest headaches.

Proposal: Put the header on the current SPV as a temporary quickfix

To not have the header on the SPV has many downsides for navigation inside diaspora*. We are still not at the state of an open PR so we’re still far away of a new SPV. To avoid continue annoying user on this point, I propose to add the header to the current SPV as a quick fix to have it on the next diaspora release (pretty soon). What do you think?

Outcome: Header is being implemented in the view here: https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/4390

Votes:

• Yes: 10
  • Abstain: 0
  • No: 0
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

@flaburgan I’d say go ahead with this: there’s a clear consensus so far, and in any case it’s a quick fix which makes no major changes, so doesn’t require a big formal consensus.

Okay I’m going to start to work on this.

Woo hoo! (puts the Diaspora champagne on ice)

Okay so the major problem was than the SPV is using bootstrap when the header is in blueprint. So I extracted all the header code from application.sass. One step further to clean the css code :slight_smile:

Once this is merged, to add the header everywhere should become very easy.

Thanks to @jonnehass it’s now merged :slight_smile:

So here is the PR which introduces the header on the SPV. It’s not functional right now but it’s the beginning.

Looking forward to this :slight_smile:

Can someone close the poll btw?

Okay, I’m glad to announce that the SPV now has a header. But we have a problem, even if the css is the same, it’s different than the header elsewhere. This is because the SPV uses bootstrap when the other parts of the application use blueprint.

Blueprint is not developed anymore and bootstrap is really more well-known, so we have to migrate from blueprint to bootstrap. This is a BIG task, I surely can’t do that all alone. I’ll try to see if the header part can be migrate first, so it won’t block the PR about the SPV anymore. For the other parts, we need your help :wink:

What all would need to be done for migrating from Blueprint to Bootstrap exactly?

Wow, never heard of Blueprint, though Diaspora used some funked or really old version of Bootstrap - clearly not looking at the HTML :slight_smile: