Server produces a 500 error

Hey guys, I could use some serious help right now. I got an email from one of my users saying they get a 500 error when trying to make posts. I tested, I too get 500 errors. I went in and make sure that I ran this command under /home/diaspora/diaspora:

chown -R diaspora:diaspora /

And then I started the server again… It starts ok, no issues. Now the entire page loads as a 500 error, nothing is working.

I didn’t have problems like this until I removed mastodon from my server. I expected that removing mastodon wouldn’t have caused this kind of issue, but when mastodon was removed, I started getting these issues:

-Prosody pid doesn’t load anymore, chat no longer functions and the app crashes and restarts repeatedly
-Can’t upload pictures. I had to change folder permissions, but it looks like it changed them back.
-Can’t make posts. Same issue as pictures.
-Can’t access web site. No idea now.

At this point, I’ve been all over the place trying to fix this issue. I’ve got a lot of other things I really need to focus on with my new job and my new baby in the home. If there’s any possibility, could I please give a trusted user admin rights on my server for someone to figure out what’s going on and fix it for me please?

I REALLY hope for you that this is only a typo or a copy/paste error in the post here, and you didn’t execute this. If you really did this as root, then your whole system is pretty fucked up now, because all permissions are wrong and nothing has access to what it should anymore (well, except diaspora, it has access to everything, even the things it shouldn’t have, but that doesn’t help when everything else doesn’t work anymore).

If you really did this, then I hope you have a backup of your whole filesystem, if so, restore it. If you don’t have a backup … then … well … I don’t know how to say it … but I have no idea how to help you. There are ways to recover this, but it isn’t easy and probably needs a lot of time (reinstall, and copy everything over is probably the easiest, but even that isn’t that easy and it’s probably complicated to find everything that you still need, and I have no idea in which state your system is now … I hope you have at least a database backup). So that’s nothing I can help you here.

If you are lucky and didn’t run that command, then, as usual, an error message would be helpful to see what exactly doesn’t work.

sorry it was this:

chown -R diaspora:diaspora /home/diaspora/

Small but important difference … so not everything is lost yet… :sweat_smile:

But we still need an error message to see what’s wrong.

Well that’s the problem, there seems to be a lot that there is an issue with. But, hang on, let me see if I can find the specific log for the 500 error. I don’t know if it’s with diaspora or with nginx, but one sec.

yeesh this log file is massive…I might have to get this to you with a dropbox link.

[2019-02-10T23:59:57] ERROR PID-1498 TID-69852973212200 Sidekiq: heartbeat: MISCONF Redis is configured to save RDB snapshots, but it is currently not able to persist on disk. Commands that may modify the data set are disabled, because this instance is configured to report errors during writes if RDB snapshotting fails (stop-writes-on-bgsave-error option). Please check the Redis logs for details about the RDB error.

Which means you likely have modified your redis.conf, and it looks like it’s unable to write into its working directory, or dbfilename is not writeable.

1 Like

Thanks, let me check that out. It seems like it may simply be permissions that’s causing this, as I’ve changed no configurations.