"Start request repeated too quickly" Diaspora Web and Sidekiq

Hey Guy’s!

I’m new at Diaspora and set up a server today. But I got an issue to start Disapora via systemd. I exactly followed the instruction to config Diaspora as systemd daemon but Diaspora Web will not work.

Every time I (re)start Diaspora (diaspora.target) and checking the status of diaspora-web.service and sidekiq I get the following lines:

● diaspora-web.service - Diaspora social network (unicorn)
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/diaspora-web.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-08-05 15:06:07 CEST; 4s ago
  Process: 18128 ExecStart=/bin/bash -cl bin/bundle exec unicorn -c config/unicorn.rb -E production (code=exited, status=127)
 Main PID: 18128 (code=exited, status=127)
      CPU: 412ms

Aug 05 15:06:07 canterlot.jotoma.de systemd[1]: diaspora-web.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 05 15:06:07 canterlot.jotoma.de systemd[1]: diaspora-web.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 05 15:06:07 canterlot.jotoma.de systemd[1]: diaspora-web.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Aug 05 15:06:07 canterlot.jotoma.de systemd[1]: Stopped Diaspora social network (unicorn).
Aug 05 15:06:07 canterlot.jotoma.de systemd[1]: diaspora-web.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Aug 05 15:06:07 canterlot.jotoma.de systemd[1]: Failed to start Diaspora social network (unicorn).
Aug 05 15:06:07 canterlot.jotoma.de systemd[1]: diaspora-web.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 05 15:06:07 canterlot.jotoma.de systemd[1]: diaspora-web.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

I still tried some other variations but nothing works. I also Googled but found nothing about it.

Here some systeminformations:
Ruby: 2.6.3

Check the logfile at log/production.log if it shows an error.

The current version of diaspora officially supports Ruby 2.3.x and 2.4.x, that’s what we test on and we know it works. I think there are some pods running on 2.5, so I guess that should work too (but no guarantee) and I have no idea if it works with 2.6 or if there are any issues with that. But if you followed the official installation guides you should have ended with ruby 2.4 and not 2.6.

Hi @supertux88!

Nothing in production.log of it. And also nothing in journal - just the same.

I forgot to tell that it’s possible to execute the bin/bundle exec unicorn -c config/unicorn.rb -E production command manually without any errors. Only the systemd creates issues.

I installed now Ruby 2.4.6 and it’s still the same.

OK, exit status 127 is command not found, so maybe you set WorkingDirectory to the wrong directory? Can you paste your service-files?

Sure:

diaspora.target

[Unit]
Description=Diaspora social network
Wants=redis-server.service
After=redis-server.service

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

diaspora-web.service

[Unit]
Description=Diaspora social network (unicorn)
PartOf=diaspora.target
StopWhenUnneeded=true

[Service]
User=diaspora
Environment=RAILS_ENV=production
WorkingDirectory=/home/diaspora/diaspora
PIDFile=/home/diaspora/diaspora/tmp/pids/web.pid
ExecStart=/bin/bash -cl "bin/bundle exec unicorn -c config/unicorn.rb -E production"
ExecReload=/bin/kill -USR2 $MAINPID
Restart=always

[Install]
WantedBy=diaspora.target

diaspora-sidekiq.service

[Unit]
Description=Diaspora social network (sidekiq)
PartOf=diaspora.target
StopWhenUnneeded=true

[Service]
User=diaspora
Environment=RAILS_ENV=production
WorkingDirectory=/home/diaspora/diaspora
ExecStart=/bin/bash -lc "bin/bundle exec sidekiq"
Restart=always

[Install]
WantedBy=diaspora.target

Diaspora is installed there:

root@canterlot /home/diaspora/diaspora # ls
1        browserlist         config.ru        docker              Gemfile.lock  LICENSE   Rakefile                 script
app      Changelog.md        CONTRIBUTING.md  features            graphics      log       README.md                spec
AUTHORS  CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md  COPYRIGHT        FederationProcfile  Guardfile     Procfile  redis-integration1.conf  tmp
bin      config              db               Gemfile             lib           public    redis-integration2.conf  vendor

I fixed the issue by myself. :slight_smile:

1. Reinstalled Rails
  2. I exectuted [[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && source "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" and source ~/.bashrc in /home/diaspora under the specific user again
  3. Executed bundle install
2 Likes

tnxs a lot, costed me a day after upgrading van 0.7.16 to 0.7.17.0