Welcome and Introduction to Loomio!

Richard, let me add to that, in my opinion the new-user-problem should be managed with abstraction layers and configuration. Software should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Loomio looks nice Richard, I like what it does, but as someone already said, it is pretty young. I’m sure you guys/gals are great and given some more time Lommio will be excellent. Do not take my vote as I think that Loomio sucks, because I do not.

To find solutions and decisions there exists great methods and nowadays also more and more tools. To weigh up between three and more ways to go simple votings are imho not sufficient. Have you heard for example about http://www.metagovernment.org/wiki/Systemic_Consensus - we use it in our NGO supporting basic democratic economy. You can try http://www.konsensieren.eu/ai2aoiquv UI in german

I asked loom.io team about their plans for other voting algorithms and they said they have no plugin architecture (like us :p) . So new features cant be added easily, this is a downside.

I actually like Loom.io as an open forum for anyone to say whatever they want.

I am not for Loom.io if there will be hard controls laid down against members to speak up. I don’t think that works at all given the history we already know.

I agree with Altruism that there is more to governance than discussion and voting on proposals.

I also agree with GH that we understand what governance procedures are and tools that have been created that support what is required for governance-made-easy. (or just easier).

That said, Loom does have value. I really like it. I’ve had quick and friendly responses when I submit feedback to them and I like that a lot! I want to support their efforts! (You hear me, loomaniacs?)

Having said that, there is still some maturity the tool requires to being us the full length of what we want to do.

So what’s up with this? Closed 14 days ago but no outcome has been specified? I tend to like this tool, but I’m just making my first baby-steps on this platform. But proposals need to be closed, outcomes set and taken into action.

In the discussions overview I can’t seem to find any indicators about the status of a discussion.

Can I get mail notifications for specific discussions? On the first look, it looks like loomio needs some more work…

@Wilhelm: welcome to the group!

Loom.io is in an alpha stage, so to respond to your observation, there are some things still missing from the tool, but the Loom.io dev team there is a new release coming very soon.

The tool is not meant to be a hard and fast “covenant”, but a tool for testing how people feel or think about something. This may be why you won’t find specific outcomes if they are missing.

We are learning as we go. So please take a little extra time to take it all in before you comment too pointedly. It may be the answer is in a different discussion.

Cheers

@madamephilo: yes, I’m just learning too. Find this very exciting. Wasn’t intending to spread a bad mood but rather underline the fact, that I think without focussing on outcome and conversion of things an opinion tool isn’t that good. So the fact that, just recently, the outcome field was added, might point out, that loom.io might serve as organizing outcome as well.