Welcome and Introduction to Loomio!

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

By engaging on a topic, discussing various perspectives and information, and addressing any concerns that arise, the group can put their heads together to find the best way forward.

This ‘Welcome’ discussion can be used to raise any questions about how to use Loomio, and to test out the features.

Once you are finished in this particular discussion, you can click the Loomio logo at the top of the screen to go back to your dashboard and see all your current discussions and proposals.

Click into a group to view or start discussions and proposals in that group, or view a list of the group members.

Proposal: Loom.io as a Community Governance Platform

This is an initial test of Loom.io, a free software social governance platform. This week, we can test it out on some example items for decisions we would want the community to make.

If we like it, we can keep using it, and adopt it officially. It seems like a neat idea for a tool, and one of the founders contacted me about trying it out. Let’s give it a try.

Outcome: Motion passed.

Votes:

• Yes: 19
  • Abstain: 3
  • No: 0
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

So far, this looks pretty nice!

I’m also very much for this moon holiday proposal… too bad it’s already closed
:stuck_out_tongue:

This seems like a good idea, basically a distributed form of consensus decision making. Gonna try a no.

Ahhhh I see the discussions can be timed, but it wasn’t clear on this page. BUT it means I can change my view and see how this works.

Looks good, I like the election/vote counting api.

Looks quite good, altough I somewhat miss the possibility of competing proposal like there are available in LiquidFeedback for example. Or did I overlook it?

Why it uses google analytics? In my opinion thas evil software… Better use Piwik…

It’s free software so we can deploy an instance of it on our server. So we are independant, like (Jakob, this solve the google analytics issue I agreed about)

Actually, I’ve proposed Piwik to the team here, and they said they’d be happy to switch, provided we can point them in the right direction with integration.

How difficult would it be to bring the whole Lommio code into Diaspora?

Okey Lommio have discussions and voting, imho it has to do much more than that to make it useful as a governance platform.

Hi there peoples! Thanks for adding me to your group. I’m one of the people developing Loomio, I do a lot of the comms and community management stuff (basically anything that doesn’t involve coding).

It’s been great to see the way that your crew has engaged with Loomio right off the bat, we’ve been getting some useful feedback.

Just a few points regarding some of the concerns some of you guys have had…

1. Google Analytics - I raised a discussion based on feedback from Jakob [http://loom.io/discussions/637] and one of our devs has volunteered to switch us over to Piwik. So hopefully that will be happening soon.

2. Concurrent/competing proposals - We’ve been thinking about this for a while, but we haven’t implemented it yet because we want to make sure we get it right. We’ve just started a discussion about the feature, so if any of you want to get involved, feel free to request membership to the Loomio group (http://loom.io/groups/3) and get involved in the discussion (http://loom.io/discussions/638)!

3. Proposal Outcomes (e.g. “The group has decided to go ahead with this proposal”) - We’re currently working on this feature and will be deploying it in our next release.

I’m really stoked to have Diaspora in the building, loving the feedback so far. Keep it coming!

@altruism from my experience with collective decision making on- and off-line I would say that good governance comes from a combination of process and culture. Processes (or features, if you’re comparing apps) are only as good as the culture they are deployed in.

So while it is important to evaluate the feature-set of different platforms, also consider how you will communicate the culture around how these features will be used in your environment. I.e. each feature has the potential to add a UX tax that makes your app progressively less accessible to new users. I’m not sure how relevant that is to your specific use case I just like ranting about group process at any given opportunity :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want a fairly comprehensive list of other apps to look at, check the “Related Tools” sidebar of the blog: http://loomio.org/blog

Richard, thank you for the comment. “So while it is important to evaluate the feature-set of different platforms, also consider how you will communicate the culture around how these features will be used in your environment.” I totally agree, and that is true for any platform we choose. But having said that, does this mean that Loomio will never have more features because you do not want to make it “less accessible” for new users?

@Altruism: Actually, I’m pretty sure they already have several useful features in the works.

There are a lot of features coming down the line, we’re just careful to put them through scrutiny and user-testing before deploying any code.

This discussion about how to implement concurrent proposals will give you an idea of what that scrutiny looks like: http://loom.io/discussions/638

Our development process is a work in progress, if you’re interested there’s a little story on the blog showing what our paper prototyping and user testing looks like: http://loomio.org/blog/project-update-user-testing-paper-prototypes/

Richard, “There are a lot of features coming down the line”, that is great because simple is nice, but not to simple. I guess then that the argument that each feature has the potential less accessible to new users is not scaring nor stopping neither of us :slight_smile: