Word/tag filter option?

Well, I think @goob brings up the historical issue of this having been raised before on a technical level in part.

You’ve added to this discussion additional insight on how one might do it and i also appreciate your style so my vote is let’s all look at the possibilities further with open minds and the idea of making Diaspora less offensive to those trying to use it who are kids, close minded or not legally able to see some stuff. That’s where i’ve been coming from all long.

+1 Theatre-X + Goob Especially, But To All Those Who Help With This Further Type Of Safety / Security Related Diaspora Discussion(s) + Code / Fix / Patch / Idea / Resolutions to everyone’s concerns.

Again, i want Diaspora free as in freedom to speak, just not freedom to abuse kids who can’t legally see NSFW content or for those who would be offended by things i otherwise really could care less about. This was never about ‘me’ being offended, It was me standing up for kids & others being offended & unable to enjoy Diaspora by any technical means in place at present.

I really hope you all are seeing this now & why i cared enough to speak up & not let it go. It’s because i know this project and others like it absolutely cement work i do as well in time. We are together, not apart. :wink:

+1 All Of You.

https://twitter.com/L4C0F/status/490722894872186880

https://twitter.com/L4C0F/status/490726212415680512

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with ‘protecting’ certain people from certain content. Filtering allows each user to choose what content they see in their own stream. It does not allow any third party to prevent someone else (for example a child) from seeing certain content. Conflating issues just confuses things.

If you can follow some hashtags, it makes sense, to me, that you could block (anti-follow?) others. I’m not sure if it’s a feature that would be used a lot, though.

As the network grows, so will the need of a feature like this. Following #kitten might throw so many posts in the stream other tags and persons followed might kind of disappear in the mass. Therefore following a combination of #kitten and another commonly used tag like #sleepy will give the stream a more suitable amount of posts.

In the same way one might love to follow for example #animation, but find no interest in the new tool easyAnimatorPlusPlus that everyone is hyping about; so a combination of #animation, -#easyanimatorplusplus and -#eapp is the perfect fit.

Just to say tag-blacklisting is the feature I long for the most. @Goob above exposed the typical usecases just right. There’s absolutely no censorship involved - unless you count the one readers would exert upon themselves through this feature by their own free will!
Option for covering profanities with asterisks, why not, you see that implemented for the comments section on some sites, but to me it’s a totally different feature.