Ask for a RubyMine free license

My opinion here would be the same than @davidthompson : we should not, as a free project, promote non-free software. But if this really helps people to write code for diaspora*, I guess we can give them licences.

Anyway, I miss the vote, and I don’t think this is something critical for the project.

1 Like

I guess the issue is: what counts as promotion?

@mariodanielruizsaa I’m curious to know what exactly you sent to RMS. His response makes it seem as though I have been misquoted: “David Thompson asserted that it would be a “problem” if you “had to” use only freedom-respecting software to develop Diaspora.”

He quotes “problem” and “had to” and attributes them to me. I never used those words in my comments here! Why did you misrepresent my position?

I do think that he makes a great point that Diaspora isn’t just endorsing nonfree software, but distributing it. This vote has passed, but I do hope that you reconsider your actions and do the right thing.

@davidthompson : be sure that, if JetBrains asks any kind of compensation, I’ll be the first to drop Ruby Mine :wink:

Well they’ve not yet replied so maybe they don’t want to give out licenses to us :wink: Or it’s just still sitting in some guys inbox (summer, etc).

Hey so while ago got a reply from JetBrains and they were happy to give the diaspora* project an open source license for RubyMine. This license is for an unlimited amount of users, but we’ve been requested to follow good judgement on when to give out the license code. In no circumstance should it be made public, this is against the license conditions.

They said initially “core members” but I asked whether we can follow a slightly more relaxed policy and they replied;

We do not have strict guidelines regarding this - I believe each case should be treated personally and mostly according to the common sense. If the person is not a 1-day member and you believe they should be rewarded for their work please be sure to pass the key over.

Anyway, any opinions on how we should limit the license keys. Third merged pull request? We can use that as a little incentive to get contributors, do a blog post etc :wink: And of course we should promote FOSS tools too, not just advertise RubyMine, this has been talked already.

The license is valid for a year at a time and includes software upgrades.

I have no opinion on this. Three merged PR seems good. But I think it we be good considering participaton to Loomio to.

Yeah, we just need to agree some rules, or personally at least I’d like that the license would be a reward for those who want it, not “ask and you’ll get it”. Besides, we can milk a few commits here and there by putting that as a requirement :smiley:

Loomio and generic community participation is important, but it is hard to measure. IMHO the license is probably only really wanted by people who write code anyway?

Maybe two merged pulls would be better - any opinions from others?

at least I’d like that the license would be a reward for those who want it, not “ask and you’ll get it”

I agree with that.

Besides, we can milk a few commits here and there by putting that as a requirement :smiley:

I’m afraid that meet some of the previous objection, i.e : making publicity to a proprietary tool from a community project, no ?

Loomio and generic community participation is important, but it is hard to measure. IMHO the license is probably only really wanted by people who write code anyway?

Don’t interessted poeplein contributing usually invest themselves here ? Maybe it’s not important. I don’t know. Up to the others to decide :smiley:

Besides, we can milk a few commits here and there by putting that as a requirement :smiley:

I’m afraid that meet some of the previous objection, i.e : making publicity to a proprietary tool from a community project, no ?

Sure, if people feel that way we can keep it low key - small mention in the wiki that you can ask for a license when fulfilling certain conditions, like second pull merged or whatever we decide.

Third merged pull request?

Something like this sounds sensible. Or something like a higher number of small PRs or just one major commit to the core code (like sorting out federation or something like that).

However I think a minimum period of contribution/involvement as well, otherwise we might give away a lot of licences to people who make a few commits and disappear forever (which happens all the time, for any number of reasons). It would be good to have some sign that the people we give licences to will stick around to use their copy of RubyMine to create more code for Diaspora in the future.

we might give away a lot of licences to people who make a few commits and disappear forever (which happens all the time, for any number of reasons).

This risk is however a bit limited by the fact that Ruby Mine licenses are on for a year.

Yup, let’s not make things too bureaucratic - JetBrains themselves said “use common sense” :slight_smile:

@goob putting pulls into different categories and trying to constrain licenses to only those who contribute often will just add management overhead - which is what we don’t want. We have licenses, we have contributors - I really think we just need a simple rule that we can put in the wiki for example. And then of course all the previous contributors can “cash in” their license if they want - this is probably more important than promoting for new contribs, kind of a thank you for previous contributions.

I think the interest in this is kinda low (amount of votes, amount of comments here) - so we shouldn’t spend too much time messing with minor details imho.

Two merged pulls or any other concrete proposals how we should handle giving out the keys? I can make a wiki entry.

Sure, I don’t object to that. Was just putting some ideas forwards. It would be good to get more views from core development team members, I’m happy for you guys to decide how to administer this. Well done for getting the free licences, by the way.

Why did I not receive ANY notification for this? :frowning: I can’t approve of this personally speaking. It goes against my morals.

But then again, I do believe in the saying, “If you want to make an omelet, you gotta break some eggs.”

Eh, I guess I have mixed emotions.

@theatrex This is a “follow stuff that you’re interested in and participate if you want” community - we can’t inform everyone of everything :wink:

If you want to re-raise the issue you are welcome to do so. But to be honest, this whole thing didn’t seem to generate much discussion or interest :slight_smile:

Proposal: Post on social media accounts relating to free RubyMine licenses

Since this issue and the question in the proposal has received divided opinions, I’d like to vote on the issue before doing anything.

To actually get these licenses out to our developers (who want them), I’d be happy to make a short simple status post from our DiasporaHQ account, and the official project social media accounts outside d* (FB, Twitter, G+).

The post would say:

• JetBrains sponsored RubyMine licenses available to developers who have successfully got two pull requests merged in.
  • Requests for license - contact team@diasporafoundation.org … or if the core team disagrees on the contact email, I’ll be happy to have mine there then.
  • Longer posts (not Twitter) would start with a “While we recommend FOSS editors” -section, maybe mentioning an editor or too (which are good?)

So, vote:

• YES - to support a post made
  • NO/BLOCK - to be against

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 6
  • Abstain: 0
  • No: 2
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

Oh BTW, anyone reading this who has made two successful pull requests to a diaspora* project owned repository (the chat repos must count too imho) - ping me and I’ll send you a license key :slight_smile:

What about the project-site repo? :stuck_out_tongue:

Makes sense to me at least that that should be counted in?