Bountysource

New discussion relating to Bountysource, and “funding” bug fixing and feature implementation via this channel.

https://bountysource.com/teams/diaspora

Continuation of this discussion.

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

1 Like

Firstly - we have no official team members there yet. I’ve applied, being one of the members in the github organization.

Secondly - Bountysource integrates with github. This means if someone donates money to an issue, Bountysource can update the issue with some details, like label, amount, etc.

See image attachment. The options are:

• Issue title (ie, amount of the bounty)
  • Issue body (ie, text indicating bounty)
  • Issue label (ie, for filtering in github issues)

Do we want this integration, and with what parts, some, all or none?

I don’t think the integration would be a bad thing. If it gives incentives for developers to help out with harder tasks, I could see it as having a positive outcome.

I’d personally vote for the body text and the label. The issue title is a bit … too much maybe :stuck_out_tongue:

About bounty source, you can also read the point to discuss for our next meeting.

Well, I’m admin now. How do we maintain membership? Github org members? Vote for anyone else?

And what next? Should we promote it via official accounts? I see no reason why not to, might as well give it a try, the site seems quite nifty and supports bitcoin too which is nice.

Couldn’t there be a risk that the organization become flooded by bad quality PR all to get money ?

This is a cool idea anyway. Can’t wait to see how all of this goes ! :smiley:

That close button is easy to click :wink:

Sure ! This is a radical cure. :smiley:

Couldn’t there be a risk that the organization become flooded by bad quality PR all to get money ?

No, because the money would not go to the organisation, it goes to the developer.

No, because the money would not go to the organisation, it goes to the developer.

This is what I was saying : the risk of to much devs making too much bad quality PR to get the bounty. :wink:

@augier

I’d call that a positive problem :slight_smile:

And I’d also call it very very unlikely.

Well, if PRs are poor quality they won’t get merged, so no bounty…

I see what you mean, it might mean more admin work for the Github admins in dealing with low-quality PRs, but on the other hand if it gets more people trying to code for D* some of them might improve over time and become valuable contributors…

It would be interesting to hear from the admins - @jonnehass @florianstaudacher @jasonrobinson - what they think about this scenario (potentially causing them some more work).

@goob already gave my opinion, unless you meant to tag someone else :wink:

Positive problem - and very unlikely to happen. The effect of money is overrated in the open source world imho. Most people have a day job and their interest in open source comes from other things than money. The sums that are likely to accumulate in these kind of things are not going to be high enough for someone who is not interested in open source to start coding just because of the money.

What Jason said.

Framasoft (which manages the framasphere.org pod) are interested about improving diaspora* to make it easier to administrate. They can put some money, and they also offered to have internships for the foundation if we don’t have an official structure to manage them.

Awesome :slight_smile:

Thanks both, I thought that would be your position, but I wanted to check directly!

I just posted a $5 bounty on an issue to test how bounty source works. If someone who is not member of the team (== not Jason nor me) wants to help us testing, he can go on the issue on bounty source and says he is working on it, then submit a patch. That would allow us to test how the validation process works.