Change displayed information in #tags view

There are several issues / feature requests on github affecting the #tags view. Let’s discuss and vote which we want to implement/drop.

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Proposal: Drop the number of followers from the tags page

Outcome: We will drop the number of followers from the tags page

Votes:

• Yes: 13
  • Abstain: 4
  • No: 1
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

@starblessed There is no feature to display who is following a tag. There is just a list of users who tagged themselves in their profile with a specific tag. Removing that list is not part of the proposal.

@steffenvanbergerem - Thats what I meant. LOL!

If thats the case, Ill change my vote. Ill research a little more.

Proposal: Show (some) followers of a tag on the left side panel

Privacy issues will be covered by another vote/discussion. We can decide to make tag followings public/private via some settings so please just vote on the following question:

“Do we want to add (some) followers of a tag on the left side panel on the tags page?”

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 5
  • Abstain: 4
  • No: 10
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

Okay but if I follow a tag tag and don’t want to be visible, that option must be present.

Configurability doesn’t always imply the code complexity. And speaking of federation, I’m not sure this will be a problem if we stick to the profiles which have already been pushed on the pod and the local profiles.

@lebarjack, if someone who follows a tag wants to be found by others who share the same interest, they can add that tag to the ‘describe yourself in 5 words’ field in profile settings. Then they will appear in the list of people on the tag’s page.

@steffenvanbergerem, what factors/issues are we meant to be considering in this vote, if not privacy?

@goob Privacy is IMO in this case not an issue because one could (should) make this feature optional. What should be decided is: do we need it? When we implement it there will be more code complexity and we would have to put the setting somewhere. Should the user be able to decide for each tag if he/she would like to make the tag following public or should there be a setting which decides that for all tags? Do we want to share that information across pods or do we just show a list of users who follow a tag on your own pod?

As a user I don’t want to use that feature (because of privacy issues) so I think that all that effort is not necessary. Thats the reason why I voted against that feature.

@Goob You have a point with the privacy problem that can occur, but I do think that those 5 tags are not really adapted to the goal of making easier to find new friendly contacts.

Of course, every one interested in a topic will probably make a public post on this topic at some point, and will end up being findable by searching for the tag. Maybe it’s sufficient.

@jasonrobinson There is no such feature yet and I did not add anything about the design in the proposal so there is no need for a redesign.

@steffenvanbergerem I believe I am entitled to cite my opinion whatever the vote is about :wink:

Just to inform you, I saw many users doing the confusion between tags they put on their profile and tags they follow. Unfortunately, I don’t know the solution to deal with this problem.

@jasonrobinson You are. I just wouldn’t call it “redesign” but thats nit-picking. If we decide to implement that feature I agree that the design you proposed is the right way to implement it.

Another ‘solution’ just came to my mind. Instead of a list of followers we could add a list “users who tagged a post with #tag”.

Instead of a list of followers we could add a list “users who tagged a post with #tag”.

You mean like the thumbnail icons at the top right of the stream, showing people who are active in the stream? That might be doable.

It’s difficult to decide how to vote on this.

I’d like to vote against, because I have no use for this feature and think it creates needless complexity and server load. I also dislike leaking personal data unless explicitly permitted by the user.

However some people clearly want it, and if it’s done in an opt-in way which means only people who want their avatar on the tag page will have it there, I have no objection in principle.

I still don’t think there’s any real reason to do that, but as the proposal isn’t any more clear about reasons and means to achieve a particular goal, I think I have to abstain.

However, my vote can be considered as a ‘no’ if implementing any sort of list of tag followers would create extra server load.

@flaburgan One of our principles is ‘privacy by default’ so this definitely has to be opt-in. The idea of this vote was to find out if there is a need for that feature. If thats the case we can think about mockups / implementation details. You and @goob both said that this vote is not specific enough. Do you think we should add more information to the proposal? What is missing? Do we need more time to discuss and vote or should I close this vote and start a new one later?

@steffenvanbergerem If you just mean ‘do I personally want this feature?’ my vote would be no. If you mean ‘do I think this feature should be allowed if enough people want it?’ I would have to abstain.

The question is “Do you think that enough users want that feature? Is it worth the effort? Should it be allowed?”