Diaspora Yatra

We are planning to go on a tour across schools and colleges in India to promote Diaspora. If you want to help out in any way (especially creating write ups and designs), let us know.

More here https://poddery.com/posts/870964

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Awesome :slight_smile:

@seantilleycommunit , can we use yatra.diasporafoundation.org for the campaign?

I can’t help, but good luck!

@praveenarimbrathod if you got an IP to point that too just make a quick proposal and let people vote on that.

Proposal: Create yatra.diasporafoundation.org

Point yatra.diasporafoundation.org to 194.103.16.69 (poddery.com server) for Diaspora Yatra.

Outcome: We can create yatra.diasporafoundation.org

Votes:

• Yes: 7
  • Abstain: 3
  • No: 0
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

What does Yatra mean?

It’s an airline (yatra.com) and also there is a lot on wikipedia:

Yātrā (Sanskrit: यात्रा, ‘journey’, ‘procession’), in Hinduism and other Indian religions, generally means pilgrimage to holy places such as confluences of sacred rivers, places associated with Hindu epics such as the Mahabharata and Ramayana, and other sacred pilgrimage sites.[1] Tīrtha-yātrā refers to a pilgrimage to a holy site, and is generally undertaken in groups. One who goes on a yatra is known as a yatri. As per Vedic Hindu Dharma shastras a Yatri is supposed to do Yatra barefoot. He/she should travel without umbrellas,vehicles etc., to get the benefit of the Yatra. At present these rules are not followed by many pilgrims.

Yātrā (Sanskrit: यात्रा, ‘journey’, ‘procession’), in Hinduism and other Indian religions, generally means pilgrimage to holy places such as confluences of sacred rivers, places associated with Hindu epics such as the Mahabharata and Ramayana, and other sacred pilgrimage sites.[1] Tīrtha-yātrā refers to a pilgrimage to a holy site, and is generally undertaken in groups. One who goes on a yatra is known as a yatri. As per Vedic Hindu Dharma shastras a Yatri is supposed to do Yatra barefoot. He/she should travel without umbrellas,vehicles etc., to get the benefit of the Yatra. At present these rules are not followed by many pilgrims.

Doesn’t sound too dirty that we can’t use it :slight_smile: Though I dislike the religious feel to it, which is why I abstained, but the purpose is good (= getting more people to diaspora). Hope the campaign is a success! :slight_smile:

But see what it says in the second section:

‘Yatra’ can also describe a procession, or any festival which figures a procession, such as Rath Yatra, where chariots are pulled in parade down the streets of Puri in Orissa. In modern times the word can be used to denote marches or demonstrations, for political, environmental or societal causes.

As this is a thing taking place in India, let’s leave it up to how Indians use the word, not what Wikipedia says…

Besides, ‘outreach’ has religious connotations (it’s a term used for evangelism), if you want to get into it…

Yatra means travel in many Indian languages.

Coincidentally (or possibly not), a post has just appeared in my stream about someone’s fantastic three-week rafting yatra down an Indian river.

@praveenarimbrathod As the vote seems to pass… does your server support IPv6? We might want to get some troubles with our *.diasporafoundation.org AAAA records otherwise, so we would have to change the record if you don’t support IPv6…

@dennisschubert we have an ipv6 address 2a03:f86:2:2::2 but we have not configured it yet. You can use it and it will start working once we configure it.

yatra.diasporafoundation.org.  IN  A  194.103.16.69
yatra.diasporafoundation.org.  IN  AAAA  2a03:f86:2:2::2

There we are.

Nice work!

@dennisschubert thank you :slight_smile:

@dennisschubert can you add an SPF record as well? Passwords sent out by wordpress is going to spam.

@praveenarimbrathod sorry, sure. done.

@dennisschubert thanks!

I have now scheduled a month long tour across my home state of Kerala. Looking forward to all your support.

@dennisschubert , can you help with the ssl certificate email verification? startssl.com will send you a verification code (as the domain is registered under your name), let me know a time we can sit on irc and do it.