Documentation platform

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Which platform do you prefer? I think MediaWiki is a good choice. It’s pupular and easy to use. It’s easy for everybody to fix mistakes and translate the docu.

Proposal: MediaWiki

What do you think of MediaWiki?

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 0
  • Abstain: 4
  • No: 0
  • Block: 0

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

Not sure how I feel about MediaWiki really. Although I will agree that GitHub’s Wiki reaches a bit short of what we want it to do, we have to consider two things:

1.) The wiki, from a usability standpoint, should be pretty simple and easy to navigate.

2.) If we’re doing MediaWiki, then we should find a place to host it from within the Diaspora community infrastructure.

Truth be told, one of the loom.io team members told me that they plan on bringing wiki functionality to loom.io itself. I’m a little curious to see as to whether that might be useful.

Which platform do you prefer? suggestions?

…because of hosting. when we gonna use loom we have to host it to right? So the hosting problem is a problem we have surely.

What do you think of using LaTeX and converting this to html?
For working together we could use git, exchanging the LaTeX files. I have no experience with this, just an idea.
I think its not so easy for newcomers to join the docu team or just write a short tutorial with LaTeX.
In my opinion it’s important that it is easy for everybody to improve or write articles.

Florian, “…but there might be better choices out there for documentation of a software project” such as? I’m interested to know about our options (concurrent proposals).

the one concurrent proposal I see is to put it all on the drupal site .

But a wiki is a wiki. And there are so many people who can work with mediawiki

Interestingly, it’s actually quite possible to add it to Drupal itself. There’s a great couple of modules that you can string together to add wiki functionality. This video here gives a simple demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHsjjHzYOSg

What I like about a “CMS for a Project Site” approach is that a lot of infrastructure can be baked in, and we could have a solid user account system for actively contributing directly to the project itself, from its own website.

I will try today the drupal wiki. Last time I did was about a year ago. Freelinking had some issues. Maybe it improved.
To have it on one platform would be good.

Cool, let me know how it goes! :slight_smile:

installed a test drupal site on http://diasporatest.openspirit.de
@Sean , yep will do.

“Your application for an account is currently pending approval” do Drupal have alternatives or is this the only way to manage registration of new users?

I also tested to create a wiki page, it is also waiting for approval. Just for evaluation, can we turn “off” approval?

I find it hard to setup this wiki. But havent watched the video yet, will do now.

I know you are testing it, be cool.

On test platform I set registration mode free.

@all who are interested in drupal tests or discussion apply for new subgroup!
So we can continue discussion there!?

No, we should keep discussion on here for the most part. I don’t want to have to check three or four different sites just to have a conversation. :wink:

Sean, I think he meant a sub-group here in Loomio.