Introductions

Hi guys, I’m Fabian Rodriguez from Uruguay. I’m a software developer who has been working with ruby on rails for the last couple of years, and started to contribute to Diaspora a while back. My Diaspora handle is fabianrbz@joindiaspora.com, and I’m willing to help anyone who wants to make Diaspora even more awesome!

Hey folks. I’m Sean Tilley, based out of Peoria, Illinois. I’m a budding web developer diving into the crazy world of Rails and Javascript, and as the Community Manager, I help address issues with the project in the community. I’ve been using Diaspora since the very first public Alpha, and like many people here, I’m constantly thinking about ways we can move the project forward.

Currently, I’m in the process of learning JavaScript, and I hope to learn Backbone.js in due time to start helping with feature development.

My Diaspora handle is DeadSuperHero@joindiaspora.com

Oh, I didn’t write anything here yet.

So I am Rasmus from Göttingen in germany. Graduated in math and now working at a small company for an open source web learn-management-system, which is mostly used only in germany. I am fascinated of the possibilities of a decentralized (social) network. Since I am only capable of PHP and not of Ruby On Rails I didn’t commit any code to Diaspora*, but I am one of those annoying guys around who always have an advice on how some things could or should be done.

I believe that one day in the future all federated network protocols like Diaspora, OStatus, libertree will meet in the middle and form a larger and highly flexible federated network. Thus I am programming an OStatus-adapter for my lms in my freetime to get more people connected to this network.

Hi, I’m Tom and I am a meat popsicle.

Based out of Philadelphia, PA, I’ve been working on the web for over 10 years, first doing freelance development and contributing to early open source organizations such as Undernet’s web team. I’ve been working with JavaScript since 1999, PHP since 2000, and Ruby on Rails since 2007-2008. These days, I mostly solve problems that I personally encounter within a select few spaces of interest, but Diaspora is quite outside that realm.

I work on Diaspora because I believe so strongly in its goals of freeing the social network from the confines of a business which undermines the very trust that it provided its users with to begin with. I believe that if Diaspora doesn’t do it, someone else will. Social networking can not exist in a centralized, business-controlled environment entirely.

Hi I’m Greg, haling from Perth, Western Australia; I don’t have a ham radio, YET!

You’re probably to young to know what they are, but I used to write kick arse BATCH files and copy BASIC from books when I was 6 or 7.

I’m a self taught computer guy. Learnt everything from books and the internet. Been online since 95, programming Java since 97, PHP since 98 (PHP3), Pascal since 99, ColdFusion since 2006 (I was forced to!), Ruby on Rails since 2009.

I’ve built MUDs, CMSs, Shopping Carts, Time Trackers & Point-of-Sale systems more times than I care to remember.

These days I kill time by day working on either Ruby on Rails or Android projects. Outside of that I make music, DJ & run a weekly radio show online & have way too much to do.

Sometimes no matter how crazy things are, you need a distraction. So I thought, why not throw time at Diaspora? I knew from day one how hard a project this was and I watched on as it continued to fall short of expectation and hype. I decided I wanted to help make it exceed that hype.

I might only pitch my code into small areas of the codebase at the moment, but I care about much larger parts. You’ll always find me sniffing around/contributing tidbits online when 2 words are mentioned “DISTRIBUTED SOCIAL”.

My name is Daniel Smith.
Today is as good as it gets probably to do my introduction, considering the post-PRISM hype I see on FB today. See: https://www.facebook.com/groups/majordomo/
Anywho, I used to be from Philly also as is Tom below. I actually worked there for Bell Atlantic/Verizon, but in graphics, not the regulated/phone side. But I learned an awful lot about computers while I was there, and a lot more since.
Now I live in Houston. For most of the time I have lived here though, I have worked in construction installing networks (read: cable puller). It’s been hard, but helped me to lose the “cube weight” I’d gained during the previous employment, and boy did I learn an awful lot about the US by working among in construction, vs the office. :slight_smile: But my plan is to start my own company and make a zillion dollars. Or, making a decent living and not sweating to death in chemical plants would be a nice start.
I had a meetup group here on Twitter Bootstrap and never really did anything with it, but I’m changing it to one about the Federated Social Web. I am also starting a “web mag”, whatever that is nowadays, about the topic. Hopefully, it might help to get the word out also for the federated products like D*. I see interest only building about the viability of this area, and actually have a few inventions or ideas not only limited to federated space per se but kind of similar or concurrent with it, so it just plain appealed to me when I found out it existed.
Also, I think it’s just a good old pain in the ass to have to have all these parallel platforms to deal with and keep track of, and it just makes simplicity’ sense to be able to track and/or monitor and manage them in one place.
I’d love to hear of anyone who’d like to contribute to my magazine when I get it going, which will be soon, as we speak. I think the name is great, kind of inspired by the old funny four letter domains, word.com, ironical ones like fray etc. I will defer putting the name here just yet because I have to get another version of the domain, and don’t want people snapping it up.
Thanks for the space to write here.
Looking forward to getting going and helping out.
Dan

Hey everyone!!
I am Sakshi Jain from India.
I am a student of final year computer engineering. Thanks to the Rails Girls SoC for giving me along with @pallavishastry, a chance to be a part of open source community. We’ll be working on Diaspora with the guidance of our respectable mentor Sir @florianstaudacher. We are ready to rock… !!! :slight_smile:

@sakshijain Welcome! Always glad to have more help! :slight_smile:

Awesome @sakshijain - great to have you aboard!

Hello I’m Bruno Guerra, from Brazil, country of soccer and java community. My first time opensource project, but not on developing beautiful things. About 2000 started on VB, just me and F1 key, ASP with a book, PHP with internet, Delphi had a professor, but F1 sounds like better, C, C++, Java, FoxPro, C#, J2EE, JavaMe, Assembler (Instruction Set 8051, Arm7), Java Android, objective C IOS, Rails at 2012.
We have same goals, so I hope contribute with good code, good server and services.

PS > I’m very interested on D* IOS version.

Thanks for this guys, big opportunity for me

Hi Bruno, and welcome.

Hi all, i’m Koen Martens (aka gmc). I’ve been on the sideline of diaspora for a while now, and plan to invest some more time in the project in the near future. Later this month i shall be proposing to an audience of 3000 hackers/hacktivist to quit their facebook accounts and move over to diaspora (for which i’m currently also setting up a pod). Don’t tell anyone yet, it’s supposed to be a surprise :slight_smile:

Starting in august, when my current timesink (organising a hacker event) is over i plan to start work on an android app for diaspora - it seems that’s a void that needs to be filled and i’ve done my share of android app developing.

Hi Koen! And welcome. You seem to have beautiful projects, that’s great!

Hi Koen, and welcome to the project.

Hello. Maciek from Poland here. I use Diaspora every day, don’t have any friends there (yet) but it’s fantastic thing to see it grows. I’m glad to be able to be a part of this. I’m a freelance web programmer, firstly PHP, lately Java and recently I started to learn Ruby, so I hope I’ll be able soon to contribute some code, not only ideas. I love open source/hardware and DIY culture, sustainability ideas. After work I organise techno parties in Warsaw.

Great! Welcome to Loomio, Maciek, and hope you’re able to contribute more as time goes on - code (perhaps), ideas and enthusiasm.

Hi, I’m Joachim (yogrt@pod.orkz.net) from Holland and part Germany. I joined D* pretty early on joindiaspora, switched to a German pod and then ended up at orkz as soon as I found that there was a pod there, I can’t code (yet :slight_smile: but I’m translating https://diasporafoundation.org at the moment, if anyone knows better how to translate things like hosting, coding etc. into dutch feel free to help.
For the rest I really enjoy D* and I think it’s a beautiful and mostly kind community, thank you all!

Hello, I’m Mads from Denmark. I’ve just learned about Diaspora today. I noticed there was not Danish translation group, so I decided to become its first member :slight_smile: I don’t have a lot of technical skills, but I like to think about design, presentation and languages.

Hopefully I will be able to contributed with some of that :slight_smile:

Cheers…!

Hey @madsmastrup, welcome to our group! Check here for a quick run-down of our translation process. We do all of our translations on WebTranslateIt.

If you have any questions, feel free to talk to @jonnehass, who is active in organizing our translation work. :slight_smile:

Welcome @madsmastrup !