Proposal Diaspora name in sign language

Hello everyone.

Having a deaf brother, I am sensitive to the sign language. And I thought to offer a sign of official way for addressing the discussion of the Diaspora social network with the deaf.
Indeed, all brands that respect have a sign. So why not Diaspora?

Explain the word diaspora in sign language would be something long and tedious. We are fortunate, in most sign languages ​​the letter D is common, she said everywhere in the same way: D-sign

In French the word “star” and the star, celebrity, is expressed in two different ways, but not in international sign language.

Then I suggest doing a “Fork” of the word “star” with the letter D.
Why “star”?
Because the logo of Diaspora is a star, much simpler to explain pictorially the pisenlit! “We can create as many POD there can be a star!” It does, right?

Because right now when I want to explain to my brother or friends Diaspora, I have to say D-I-A-S-P-O-R-A !

Of course, this sign does not exist in sign language.
Here is my proposal to sign, made ​​by me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NSJkUJyq9Q&feature=youtu.be

or

https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/teslas_moustache/m/how-to-say-diaspora-in-sign-language/

What do you think ?

Of course I could subsequently offer my knowledge of French language signs to make video presentations or other necessary Diaspora !

Note: This discussion was imported from Loomio. Click here to view the original discussion.

Can you just sign d* instead of spelling it out?

Hi Stef !
So why not proposing a sign for the common word “diaspora” directly instead of just the brand of the D* community ? :slight_smile:

Maybe you are aware of this crowdsourced sign language dictionnary (in french) where you can make such proposition: (the second one fits well to define what D* community is)
http://www.elix-lsf.fr/spip.php?page=recherche_definitions&recherche=diaspora&lang=fr

Yes common sign for D* would be great. Any way great initiative.

ashersilb@gmail.com : Saying “D *” is sign twice. Most of the “trademarks” sign once. And then it would be like saying “blue F” for Facebook :wink:

Hi emak!

I did not know this website!

It is necessary to differentiate the Diaspora and the social network Diaspora. Indeed sign language, words and brands are important. An ambiguous sign can be confusing, and have a sign corresponding to two different definitions is not practical.

And I’m not alone here ! First we must have the opinion of many people, I will not arbitrarily propose a sign ! :wink:

StefOfficiel: I’m not really in the deaf community but I asked some friends who said Facebook is usually signed as FB.
“Name signs just arise out of use and the need for a common way of discussing something. So if it’s not really common, even if they “invent” a sign it may not be adopted.”

I think ultimately the users of sign language will be the ones to decide which is the symbol for Diaspora *.

But anyway it occurs to me that it might be:

“DSN” (Diaspora social network).
In Spanish: “RSD” (Red SocialL Diaspora). Yes, yes, not only English man lives, hear or not hear. :slight_smile:

@Asher Facebook sign with both hands open and straight ahead hit each turn on the cheeks. Open hands like a book, on the face. To say google, with both hands must form the letters G, place your hands at eye level, forming the two G with hands, both O with eyes and shake as if you wipe your eyes. Etc…
All known names have their own signs.

@juansantiago Generally, the deaf do not give a sign to mark only one person. Moreover, when it comes to a brand, a universal product is better than the name is common to all. Here, “DSN” or “RSD” are different and much too resemblant to “DNS” (Domain Name System) or “RDS” ​​(Radio Data System). Initial usually mean nothing to a deaf man. Believe me, I coasting along every day !

Keep in mind that the language of signs, whether French, Spanish, English or universal, has its philosophy, spelling, syntax that is very far from the hearing world !

It seems to me that it would be most appropriate for members of the deaf community to themselves come up with a sign for D* once Diaspora is well enough known that it moves into everyday discourse.

If we were to come up with a sign for D* and promote it before Diaspora is really widely known, whenever someone used the sign, they would meet blank looks, ‘what does that mean?’

Let’s work on making D* a more accessible platform. There already an issue for an accessible captcha on sign-up, and I’m sure there are other things which we can do to make D* more accessible and pleasant to use for people with access issues. If we do this and D* becomes a very attractive platform for deaf people, perhaps it will become really well known among them and they will decide it’s worth creating a special sign for D*.

Considering it says @stefofficiel I think it best to consult deaf people, they will be the ones best able to resolve this, do not consider them would paternalism.

It seems to me that it would be most appropriate for members of the deaf community to themselves come up with a sign for D* once Diaspora is well enough known that it moves into everyday discourse.

Problem is : members of the deaf community won’t come to diaspora* unless we make it accessible to them.

I discussed that point with @stefofficiel. He explained me that deaf people don’t read and think just like hearing do. Consequently, they don’t easily understand the main feature of diaspora* : decentralization.

This concept is very oscure to them because LSF lacks signs to talk about computer science and informatics. Some words of expression that are very common to hearing users are complitely unknown to them.

Keep in mind that we are not talking about people that live right like us, just hearing less. We are talking about people that a huge part of the common human communication avoids them.

Furthermore, @stefofficiel does not make this proposal without reflection. I can assure you he knows deaf comunity pretty well :wink:

This is why this proposal is very close to this one. We have to know how to explain diaspora* in sign language. But unless we have a sign to say “diaspora*” we cannot.

Augler: There is no one sign language. LSF isn’t used worldwide. I feel like prescribing a sign worldwide is the wrong way to go about this.

@Asher : Obvious. Though, you say “Facebook” in French, you say “Facebook” in English, you say “Facebook” in German, you say “Facebook” in Spanish, you say “Facebook” in Swaili, you say “Facebook” in Japanese, you say “Facebook” in Russian, and so on…

The same way, you say “diaspora*” in French, you say “diaspora*” in English, you say “diaspora*” in German, you say “diaspora*” in Spanish, you say “diaspora*” in Swaili, you say “diaspora*” in Japanese, you say “diaspora*” in Russian, and so on…

A mark is a mark. I don’t see why “diaspora*” could choose to be called “diaspora*” and couldn’t choose how to be signed !

@augier This might be true written or spoken but it is not true signed. Facebook is signed differently by different communities.

You should know that each country uses its own sign language. French language signs is one of the most used language with English signs. There are also international sign language. International sign language is a common language, allowing the transcription of a word in sign language into another, more common names are almost entirely in international sign language. The world famous places or large brands are international sign language. For example, the Eiffel Tower or the place of the star (“Place de l’étoile”) is signed in the same way through the world.

The international common words, such as “Facebook”, “Twitter”, “Coca-Cola”, “Internet”, “Google”, and in particular the known websites, are signed in the same way everywhere in the world. The international sign language is primarily a dictionary of common words and simple, and a particular alphabet, leading to an understanding in any language.

The woman to my brother who is also deaf, is Indian. She speaks the language of English signs, but we understand almost perfectly, whereas I only speak the language of French signs. Sign language of a region does not necessarily correspond with the regional spoken language.

Understanding and communication is possible between two people quickly mastering of different sign languages​​. This is due to the close proximity of syntactic structures and the existence of very iconic structures.

Sign language has its philosophy.

It is usually very difficult to talk with deaf computer because there is almost no words related to technical computing. Believe me, from experience, explain the concept of Diaspora * a deaf is not an easy task. Explaining decentralization … Already a large number of deaf ignores the architecture of the Internet and do not even know the existence of a server, even if they not very familiar with its function. Then explain the concept of Diaspora *, without a sign characterizing the social network is hell. There are no existing word defining the diaspora as the explanation of this word is already very complicated sign language.

Allow people attending deaf to distinguish Diaspora * in the explanations already venture to be able to make a breakthrough.

Without knowledge of Diaspora *, the deaf will not come from themselves. Even if they come on their own, without knowledge of the concept, very few will see none.

We differentiate ourselves from other social networks, and we need.

@Asher :

@augier This might be true written or spoken but it is not true signed. Facebook is signed differently by different communities.

I’m sorry, but this is false. Facebook has exactly the same sign language signs that French language and English signs that sign language Spanish for example.

But a number of the deaf do not know some words, my brother for example signed “FB” to say Facebook but learned that he had a sign on its own. Since it uses the common sign.

@stefofficiel Thank you for clarifying!
My school has a huge population of ASL students. I’ll see if any interpreters have been in computer science classes and if they have any tips for communicating more technical topics.

Very good idea @Asher ! ( What’s funny is that your nickname is pronounced like my city ! :stuck_out_tongue: )

You speak sign language ?