Proposal Diaspora name in sign language

/posts/6a263d7042b501321d8600259069449e

Sign language has it’s charme… I really liked reading this discussion. :slight_smile:

(ran out of space…)

I’m inherently uncomfortable about telling the hearing-impaired community how they should sign something. I think it should be left up to them to come up with something themselves which works well for them. Also a sign is going to be useless for communication until everyone knows what it means/refers to. Better to let it develop organically among the communities of users of sign languages rather than attempt to impose anything. I appreciate this proposal has good intentions, but I fear it is likely to be received poorly (if at all) by hearing-impaired people.

Hm… I think it is more of an answer to when people using the sign language are looking for a symbol. It’s an offer. If there is another sign developing in that community, I’m all for embracing that instead of the current solution. But as far as I have read these comments, there is nothing so far, so an example of how to sign “diaspora” that people could refer to is not a bad thing. :slight_smile:

@goob: Since this obviously isn’t our actual decision, I think the proposal is about whether we should propose this to the ISL people (as a foundation?), so in the end no one will tell anyone how to sign diaspora, except for potentially ISL if they find it descriptive.

I do see your points though, that words should come from the community, not some authority. A possible solution to that might be to add a page, a text or an a FAQ-answer on the foundation site, proposing a possible way to sign “diaspora”, and informing that other proposals are okay too and that we’d love to see them and that in the future we’d like to have a word in the ISL? :slight_smile:

@ivangabrielmoren

I do see your points though, that words should come from the community, not some authority. A possible solution to that might be to add a page, a text or an a FAQ-answer on the foundation site, proposing a possible way to sign “diaspora”, and informing that other proposals are okay too and that we’d love to see them and that in the future we’d like to have a word in the ISL? :slight_smile:

An approach like that might work but that is a very different proposal from ‘Adopt StefOfficiel’s sign as the official ISL sign for "Diaspora"*’, which is why I’ve voted against the proposal as worded.

I think the proposal is about whether we should propose this to the ISL people

I don’t think this is what the proposal about, because it says:

this should be adopted as the official International Sign for Diaspora*…

and

1. how a sign is entered into the ISL dictionary.

It’s not, in my view, up to us to decide what sign will be adopted as the ISL sign for Diaspora*, nor to enter a sign into the ISL dictionary.

So I don’t think this proposal is saying what you think it is saying, or what you think it should be saying.

If we agree that this should be adopted as the official International Sign for Diaspora*

- meaning an agreement that we currently think it should be adopted. It doesn’t practically mean to decide whether it is going to or not :stuck_out_tongue: But maybe the proposal didn’t mean to say that, I don’t know, I can’t read minds.

That’s the point. I don’t think it’s for us even to say ‘we think it should be adopted’. Hence my vote.

It’s not, in my view, up to us to decide what sign will be adopted as the ISL sign for Diaspora*, nor to enter a sign into the ISL dictionary.

Why not ? Why could we choose the name of the software and cound’t we choose the sign that corresponds to ?

I think it is terribly patronizing to say “Hey ! We can choose the name of our project for the hearing, bu you, impaired, up to you to decide !” It is making them really really being appart of the society and this is clearly to avoid this, that this proposition exists.

Furthermore, as @stefofficiel is the only one who is in contact whith deafs, shouldn’t we trust him ?

@augier Any decision to marketing, should be tested with the target audience, Yes, of course I trust @stefofficiel

@juansantiago : as we don’t have any target audiance for now, we just have to deal with it. I think that target audience will not come unless we show them we think about them. And that begins with adopting a sign, one way or another. The same way that you have to choose a name for your project before anyone uses it !

@augier

Yes, if we consider Diaspora in sign language is that we as a target audience for the deaf.

I disagree with you on the basics, in a serious, long-term project, the name, logo and other details of the project should be tested, otherwise it’ll simplemete the project may fail because of an error on that.

It is not appropriate to decide these details from a crstal bubble .

Not talking about large investments em style marketing corporations, simply i,m think there is a world beyond our subjectivities.

Yes, it is true, usually they are the ones who choose the signs. Why them? Simply because they are the forgotten of society, ostracized. We choose a sign. If they like it will pass, if they choose another. But if you prefer to do like everyone else, continue to ignore the deaf, let them choose a sign for a social network which they know nothing and which they see no future interest be it for life private !