CaPiTaLiSaTiOn of the entire UI in the English language

@goob Although it can be easily misinterpreted like so.

@gp : yeah… That’s why I wrote

I can only speak for french

Do you think you can even more flood loomio ?

@augier Isn’t that question pointless? I can of course, but I will not because I don’t want to.

Hmf… -_-

Sorry everyone, I am currently changing my mind.

I think that it would become extremely long and complex to decide what should be capitalized under X rules and what should be capitalized under Z rules. We would probably have to hire a capitalization expert in order to do that. And I don’t want to make an extremely big bundle of proposals which would say “buttons should be capitalized that way, sidebar titles should be capitalized that way, titles in the Settings should be capitalized that way, sentences should be capitalized this way”. I think it would be too much effort for not that much.

Now I’ve been exploring other professional-grade software and applications like iOS, Twitter, etc. I noticed that with the exception of iOS, which has perfectionist-like capitalization, most apps are actually inconsistent or use first-word capitalization.

Twitter, for example, has first-word capitalization everywhere, except on a few occasions where it has all-words capitalization (Worldwide Trends, Nearby Locations, 1 Follower, 19 Tweets, “Clear All” in search) and smaller all-caps (TWEETS, FOLLOWERS, FAVORITES on profile pages). GitHub is all first-word capitalized too. Therefore, I guess it’s not too bad if first-word capitalization is used all abroad the service.

And most importantly, that would be much simpler to implement.

That’s why I now support @rich1’s suggestion to make a broader proposal and why I am now in favor of first-word capitalization. I will now block my own proposal. (Doesn’t that sound silly!)

@gp Before opening another proposal it would be great if you could wait until there was some discussion about the topic. You think first-word capitalization everywhere would be a good solution. Others might have a different opinion. (I don’t have a strong opinion on that topic right now) Let’s exchange those opinions (some might change their opinion like you did) and try to find the perfect solution. Then we can open a new proposal.

I think we shouldn’t apply first-word capitalization to timeagos. GitHub does the same. (“a month ago”)

Hi!
I support the capitalization of only the first letter of interface texts, regardless of their type.

@steffenvanbergerem I understand. Some people might want all-lowcase or all-caps, for example, which I would quite strongly vote against. Let’s let all-caps to movies of the 1960s and all-lowercase to Microsoft and Skype.

Timeagos would be the only exception, and I think I know the reason why: the complete string would be “Posted a month ago”, but then by omitting the “Posted”, we don’t transfer the capital to the “a”.

I think that you should take into consideration that other languages have other conventions. In Romanian is not common to capitalize stuff inside a phrase, with the usual exceptions (names, cities, streets).

On a side note, I think there should be a threshold on what is to be decided on loomio, and what a translation coordinator could decide by himself. This stuff we discuss right here, could be the decision of a single person, and it would spare my inbox 10-12 emails :slight_smile:

@dumitruursu Check the title of the discussion! It’s about the English version of diaspora* only. I do not know if there is a comparable consistency issue for other languages.

This stuff we discuss right here, could be the decision of a single person

But which single person would be trusted with making such decisions? There are many different views on this thread, so no one person could justifiably make a decision without consulting other views.

it would spare my inbox 10-12 emails :slight_smile:

Just switch off email notifications from Loomio. I did that years ago because I was being plagued.

@gp for many of the other languages there is a problem of completion, they’re far from fighting over this kind of stuff, unfortunately.

@goob we have to admit that most decisions will have their opponents and proponents anyway, but one decision will have to be taken. Hopefully it’s the one which satisfy the need of the majority, but that’s kinda hard to measure, even with Loomio.

On the problem of choosing such a person - in the projects I know, people make their application, and the community decides which one is worthy of the honor, based on all sorts of subjective and objective reasons: how long he/she has been in the comunity,
how much did he/she contribute,
how good of a leader is, etc.

Thanks for the tip with the email notifications. I’m new to Loomio.

For the moment, the proposal is going to end in two hours. As the voting “pie chart” is currently going, what kind of outcome can I come up with? It certainly does not look like a loud “Yes”, since a minority of people agree.

@steffenvanbergerem I see, but when can we decide that it would be time to actually start another proposal? I can only see four valid capitalization rules:

• ALL CAPS;
  • all lowercase;
  • Sentence case;
  • Title Capitalization

And there’s of course “a mix of each one of them”, but that wouldn’t solve problem number one (consistency).

@gp Rich opened this thread 6 days ago and you posted this comment less than a day ago. Just give other users some time to comment on your ideas.

@steffenvanbergerem Ah that’s what you meant. I see. I think waiting a weekend would be enough then.

@iuliandumitrascu

I support the capitalization of only the first letter of interface texts, regardless of their type.

I like that idea, +1

I also notice Loomio use this format too. You can see it in the dropdown menu at the top and also in the page footer.

I suggest that the next proposal should be worded as such, based on @iuliandumitrascu’s comment:

Capitalize only the first letter of interface texts, regardless of their type, with the exception of lower-cased timeagos.

Well, let’s

Just give other users some time to comment on your ideas.

before opening another proposal.

@goob I plan to open a new proposal next Friday.

I’m tossing my observations into the mix since @rich1 pointed me here so hopefully it helps.

I was documenting a vendor product yesterday and as such as paying close attention to the UI and it’s various elements. It was consistent in that capitalized the first letter of every single word throughout. Sentences, menu elements, it was all the same. It became very annoying. It doesn’t follow with how the English language is written. And as such documentation became an exercise of correcting all of the text. So at the risk enraging developers I would suggest that a style guide of some sort be followed. If nothing else at least that of proper English grammar.

I am probably the last person in the world to lecture about grammar as my use of it is absolutely atrocious but it does make a big difference.