Diaspora* hackathon at the Mozilla Paris office

Yay, booked my flights, coming after all, will be there for whole 4 days :slight_smile:

awesome <3 Jason I am really looking forward to it!! I already thought that youā€™ll skip it in respect of your workload :S

So what are we going to work on?

It would be nice to set some simple goals, maybe even gather up a list of tasks to tackle. Personally it would be nice imho to try and tackle or kick off some of the most trickiest concepts missing from 1.0. This doesnā€™t mean completing them or coming up with a final spec, but something that at least resembles a plan or initial implementation that can then be iterated on.

Iā€™d personally like to talk a lot about federation and how to solidify and improve it. For that, maybe a whiteboard would be nice, if the meeting room has one or if not if we could find one, Fla?

And speaking of 1.0 and federation, of course pod migration comes up. Iā€™d like to go through it, the existing preliminary specs and ideas, and then come up with a list of core deliverables that can be accepted by the whole core team (not just people present at the hackathon). Then we would have something to push up the bounty with.

Should we set up a kanban type board for the hackathon - overkill or maybe a good way to organize? Taiga.io is a really cool agile tool if we want a dedicated board to log stuff on. We can of course just use irc and github, that is fine too.

my personal goal is: review chat back-end
there are still some flawā€™s I wanna get rid of. Maybe someone is interested in XMPP ,too :slight_smile:

Should we set up a kanban type board for the hackathon - overkill or maybe a good way to organize?

I am sure that could help. thumbs up

I also was thinking about working on the chat: it would be nice to have it in an stable enough state to include it in the coming 0.6.

I would love to work on the federation but I think nobody in the coming people already dig in it, without @jhass @florianstaudacher or @supertux88 it would be hard to work on that part I guess.

Iā€™d also like a time to talk about the project itself (where are we and where do we want to go). We could then write a blog post to inform about the status of the project. We need to communicate more :wink:

We could talk about how do we organize ourselves too, what can we do to improve the communication with the community (organize loomio, talk about the forum, switch the mailing listā€¦).

Oh, and I think there is a whiteboard there :wink:

I would love to work on the federation

What federation issues do you mean?

We could then write a blog post to inform about the status of the project. We need to communicate more :wink:

Offtopic kinda but Iā€™d like to ramp down the whole blog - now that we have a place to communicate.

Iā€™ll get a board set up so we donā€™t have to bloat github with non-code items like these :slight_smile:

I also was thinking about working on the chat: it would be nice to have it in an stable enough state to include it in the coming 0.6.

Yeah definitely! We could maybe list one thing as a generic guideline to attempt to solve as many 0.6 items as possible?

+1 for chat. I also wanted to take time to work on the API but I fear we fall short of time :frowning:

Iā€™m going to shot the event to make a video and I decided to start with a presentation of the Mozilla office. So wrote a little speech Iā€™m going to tell in front of the camera a the beginning of the video illustrated with images of the office. Please tell me what you think about it (especially @goob).

Hello people, Iā€™m currently standing inside the Mozilla office of Paris which is located on the Boulevard Montmartre.
The Boulevard Montmartre is one of the four Grand Boulevard of Paris which are big street built between 1668 and 1705.
More precisely, the Mozilla office are located inside the HĆ“tel de Mercy-Argenteau built in 1778 by the architect Firmin Perlin.
This building is a monument classƩ. In france, a *monument classƩ is a monument which is considered representing a high cultural and historical value.
Hence, it is protected by law. For instance, if Mozilla wanted to remove the wood from the walls, they couldnā€™t do it because itā€™s forbidden.
Mozilla has moved in this gourgeous place in 2013 and this week-end, this is also where the very first diaspora hackathon is heading.

Hey I added a Taiga.io board - what do you guys think? https://tree.taiga.io/project/jaywink-diaspora-paris-hackathon/kanban

Added some stuff to it. I think it could be a good idea to use something like this, it helps in focusing on key things and not having to bloat github / loomio etc - we can then sync changes to github as needed.

If we donā€™t use it I can scrap it, otherwise I made it public so I think you should be able to join the project or if not Iā€™ll add ya.

Nice !

Added an OSM map link to the OP - hope itā€™s correct :wink:

Added Lukas, Augier and Fla to the board - couldnā€™t find email of @steffenvanbergerem or @dada . Anyone else?

@joebew or @aurelieginioux - can you make it to the event? No need to participate the whole time :wink:

I think @dada is not going to join us. At least not in develop work. I asked him to join us to film the hackathon as much as he can, though. @jasonrobinson, @zauberstuhl, @flaburgan, is it ok for you to be filmed while working?

BTW, any feedback on the text I wrote?

I think @dada is not going to join us.

Oh I asked and he said he is coming, hope so anyway!

I donā€™t mind being filmed, feel free to document the whole event!

hi, I need to give a ā€œinformation and/or registrationā€ link to mozilla, do you think we should add the event on meetup.com or something like this? Or maybe we can write a blogpost?

I need to give a ā€œinformation and/or registrationā€ link to mozilla, do you think we should add the event on meetup.com or something like this?

Better hurry, time is getting short :slight_smile: Iā€™d say a wiki entry is enough with the information from here and information on how to reach the people going. Meetup.com is not free.

Or maybe we can write a blogpost?

Iā€™ll repeat my previous comment and we already wrote about it on a platform that allows replying to the post. Wouldnā€™t hurt to do a new post too.

To give the link to a post of diaspora* HQ seems fine :slight_smile:

Do we need to write a new one?

Do we need to wait for an answer to this question? :wink:

@flaburgan

https://pod.diaspora.software/posts/18103 :slight_smile:

Could you get the post to some Mozilla lists or local open source event calendars etc? Would be great if we could get some last minute visibility.