DiasporaHQ account - move to a project pod?

Why don’t you link to the post on the official blog?

In this case, I didn’t think a blog post was made - should have checked :frowning: But not every announcement from DHQ ends up in a blog post. And that would be kind of weird, diaspora* being social networking software, not blogging software - so it would make sense to link to the announcements in an official account imho.

Jason, thanks for your long and considered reply. There are some interesting points in there that I need to read and think about in more detail. Thanks again.

Since this is an important decision, we should prob extend the deadline though.

Thanks to whoever extended it :slight_smile:

@jhass would you be open to discussing diaspora.software for project use, if that was proposed to be adopted as an official domain for the project? We could just with the pod at pod.diaspora.software and go on from there step by step - or just have the pod on that if people want to keep the foundation in the name…

If not, ideas welcome for domains. Two good ones available and not too expensive:

diaspora.network
diaspora.wiki

Sure, I happily hand over (control of) diaspora.software to the project.

@jhass awesome <3

@goob have you considered your stance as you said you would? Since you are to only one so far opposing, I feel if you would reconsider we could close this earlier and vote on the domain name (for the pod).

As for where to “physically” host the pod - my server at least would be available for use, as one option. I think the whole core team should have admin access to it, wherever it is hosted.

Yeh sorry, I haven’t had chance to think properly about this. I’d still like to see whether the performance issues with jd.com can be solved first, but if that is going to take in the order of a year, we would probably be better off moving the HQ account.

OK thanks @goob if no one objects, I’ll close this proposal tomorrow and create a new proposal for the domain of the pod.

Is there definitely no hope of jd.com’s performance improving within the next three months, then? I would really like to exhaust those possibilities before moving to another pod, and it was on that basis that I removed my block vote. I know a block is only a strong no, so couldn’t have prevented that action from taking place, but I do think it’s important to know there is no chance of making jd.com working properly before moving the account.

Is there definitely no hope of jd.com’s performance improving within the next three months, then?

Well, not looking too good atm. Since 0.5, tag pages are timeouting on jd.com and it looks like sidekiq is falling behind all the time (50K pending jobs ~4 hours ago, now 54K).

I really think we should help jd.com by moving stuff out, not increasing activity there…

I’ll create a proposal for the domain tomorrow, been a bit busy last some days.

50K pending jobs ~4 hours ago, now 54K

Are you sure you added workers for the new queues? We added some new queues… :wink:

@dennisschubert they are receive queue jobs. And I don’t have any other access than the Sidekiq admin panel through the UI. I assume these are the jobs Maxwell runs.

It went up to 75K, down to 60K and now back to 71K. Also it seems tags pages are mostly time outing and notifications fail to be delivered (email I guess).

Overall the upgrade has made joindiaspora.com worse for users, it seems.

Proposal: Domain for official project pod

What domain should the closed official project diaspora* pod (for official accounts) live on?

YES = pod.diaspora.network
NO = pod.diaspora.wiki
ABSTAIN = pod.diaspora.software
BLOCK = I don’t like either of these

diaspora.network or diaspora.wiki will be registered, if still available, after proposal closes. diaspora.software is available for use from Jonne.

Outcome: N/A

Votes:

• Yes: 11
  • Abstain: 7
  • No: 0
  • Block: 5

Note: This proposal was imported from Loomio. Vote details, some comments and metadata were not imported. Click here to view the proposal with all details on Loomio.

(to prevent this Loomio thread going too much off topic)

The current situation with joindiaspora.com

This voting system does not seem the right to resolve the issue, we need a system where we can add and configure items,

Is there a policy or agreement that does not allow us to do a poll outside loomio?

Doing it this way is what in Spanish we say “Una chapuza”

i,m do not say that in English.

Technically, we could replace the existing DiasporaFoundation site app with a running pod, and put up all the old copy on the user-facing side so that it’s also still a functional site. Then the handle could just be hq@diasporafoundation.org. We could also have a few different feed profiles for things like GitHub activity and Loomio activity.

Or hq.joindiaspora.com type subdomain but please use an existing domain, its confusing enough now with all the domains for users.

Is there a policy or agreement that does not allow us to do a poll outside loomio?

I don’t think so, even though we chose Loomio. However, out of interest, what domain would you add? This proposal is only about a domain, nothing else.

Technically, we could replace the existing DiasporaFoundation site app with a running pod, and put up all the old copy on the user-facing side so that it’s also still a functional site.

Sounds like tricky to maintain imho - and why?

As for diasporafoundation.org - IMHO that was a big mistake, but unfortunately we didn’t have that many good choices. Now the TLD system is more flexible and we have a chance to correct that bad choice.

Sounds like tricky to maintain imho - and why?

I dunno, it was just a thought. A few podmins have figured out how to put decent public copy up on the public-facing side of a pod using something like the Octopress gem. IMO, it’s not a bad idea, and it would keep everyone from having to set up a subdomain.

As for diasporafoundation.org - IMHO that was a big mistake, but unfortunately we didn’t have that many good choices. Now the TLD system is more flexible and we have a chance to correct that bad choice.

But would moving everything over to yet another domain name make the problem any better?

But would moving everything over to yet another domain name make the problem any better?

Only if the new domain name suits the project better. I don’t think diasporafoundation suits the project at all. We’re not a foundation and it doesn’t look very likely there will be a foundation centred on Diaspora?