Thunderclap New Year's campaign

I used some licence free CC images.

ping @mflo :slight_smile:

Great work!!!
I love the first one, with the blue sky and the three seeds. It is minimal, simple and evokes freedom

I think the goal is to let potential Facebook refugees know we exist, not to bash FB directly. So I would like to keep it neutral, clean, positve and informative.

Because there is also a link (to diasporafoundation.org) in the thunderclap message weā€™re down to 117 chars unfortuanly. Thatā€™s why I was pondering having some more text in the imageā€¦

However there is also a place for ā€œour storyā€ on the thunderclap page itself so we might aswell put it there and keep the image clean, what do you think?

"Reclaim your freedom in #2015! Join #DIASPORA, the ad free, privacy aware, SOCIAL NETWORK where YOU are in control! " is exaclty 117 charsā€¦

I will go on now collecting text for the ā€œour storyā€ part.
Hope to have a proposal this evening.

I think you are right, it should be a positive message, for the people out there who are looking for another social network but never heard of diaspora.

What do you think about ā€œtryā€ diaspora instead of ā€œjoinā€?

And - but Iā€™m really not sure of that one- ā€œBe freeā€ instead of ā€œReclaim your freedomā€ā€¦ so we could add ā€œopen sourceā€ afterwards. But maybe its too ugly?

@jasonrobinson @jhass @Perig Gouanvic would you take a quick peek at the images above and tell me if you think thereā€™s something usable there? Thanks!

There are some nice designs there.

The only comment Iā€™d make on first view is to say ā€˜own your dataā€™ rather than ā€˜own your own dataā€™, to avoid using the same word twice so close together. (Also, if you donā€™t own your data, itā€™s not your own dataā€¦ if you see what I mean.) But itā€™s just a slightly more tidy phrase.

I wonder about ā€˜Reclaim your freedom, your privacy and your data in 2015!ā€™ (the bold is optional). That gets privacy in there as well, and as moving from not owning your data to owning it is reclaiming, I think it fits in there too.

Also, in one of them it says ā€˜Join diasporaā€™. I wonder about changing that to ā€˜Join us in diaspora*ā€™, partly because that sounds more personal and friendly, and also because the phrase ā€˜join diasporaā€™ can encourage the confusion that diaspora = joindiaspora.com, which weā€™ve been trying to get away from over the past couple of years.

Does any of that sound useful? I admit I havenā€™t really taken the trouble to understand this campaign, so I might be giving the wrong kind of advice.

@goob thanks, thatā€™s really helpful!! You are totally right about own your own, but I took it from diasporafoundation/about page thatā€™s why :slight_smile: I think Iā€™ll change it for tidiness.

Iā€™m not native in English, but to me join us in diaspora sounds a bit weird to me. Maybe join us on diaspora? it does sound more personal, I agreeā€¦

Donā€™t worry about the campaign youā€™ll get it when it launches hopefully :slight_smile:

Ok hereā€™s a draft for the campaign page. Note that the people reading this will be both existing D* users that we want to encourage to participate and contacts of those people that might also be willing to back our campaign.
I am slightly dyslectic so if you spot any typoā€™s let me know :wink:
So here it goes:

Join us on Diapora* and reclaim your freedom, your privacy and your data in 2015!

• itā€™s ad-free!
  • itā€™s nonprofit!
  • itā€™s decentalized!
  • itā€™s privacy aware!
  • itā€™s open source!
  • itā€™s growing fast!
  • itā€™s easy!
  • itā€™s for YOU!

With major social media corporations constantly changing their terms of service for the worse, lots of people are looking for alternatives! YOU can help them reclaiming their online freedom by letting them know diaspora exists!*

What can you do to make this campaign a major succes?

• Please back this Thunderclap campain by lending out your Twitter, Tumblr, and/or Facebook account (if you still have oneā€¦). If we reach your supporter goal, Thunderclap will blast out a timed Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr post from all your supporters, creating a wave of attention.

• You can make a compelling post on all your social media accounts with a link to this thunderclap website, asking your friends to back the campaign too.

• You might want to post a message to in any (Facebook) groups you are involved in.

• You can embed a link to the campaign page on your blog or website. The code is available on the campaignā€™s project page. Just click the ā€œEmbedā€ link and copy and paste the code into the HTML of your webpage.

• You can send out an email to all your friends refering them to this thunderclap site, asking them to back it up!

• You can talk about it at school or at work :slight_smile:

• You can use all the artwork that is provided here to make your messages more attractive, or you can of course create your own!

• If you are following any famous people, policitians, or other public figures you think might be receptive to what diaspora* stands for, consider sending them a tweet or a message kindly inviting the to back te campaign and re-tweet/ re-share.

• And you can ofcourse ask your friends and family to join in (as a christmas present to you :-))

• You probably have some other creative ideas. Share them on diaspra* using the hashtag #thunderclap2015!

Oh youā€™re right, well spotted. I wrote that a long time ago, and I canā€™t think why. I think I did it for emphasis, to try to be clever, but on reading it again Iā€™m not so sure itā€™s so good. Iā€™ll revisit that page and might change that text. Thanks!

In/on diaspora is an interesting question: ā€˜on the platformā€™ vs. ā€˜in the networkā€™; I was thinking primarily of ā€˜in the communityā€™, which is what we want (I think) to promote diaspora as. I think (as a native English-speaker) that ā€˜inā€™ sounds better, but itā€™s not a definitive decision.

addition:

Be sure to keep the message positive. This isnā€™t set up for bashing other platforms, it is set up to inform people that Diaspora exist so they know they have a choice.

Very good text sumimasen! watch out the forgotten ā€œRā€

itā€™s ad-free!
itā€™s nonprofit!
itā€™s decentRalized!

I was wondering, when we discussed the draft earlier, there was the idea to spread that diaspora may not have all the features as other social network, but offers ethical values. Maybe we could add something like that. Just that newbies donā€™t expect too muchā€¦

Perhaps ā€œJoin the Diaspora!ā€, using Diaspora as a verb or an action-packed noun, which really, it is.

Regarding lack of featuresā€¦ where are the games at? If I develop a social game myself, could I set it up to work on diaspora?

@zv this is indeed a very good point, kindly start a new discussion, because developers should take your idea into account on a larger scale perhaps :slight_smile:

@zv You would need an API. We already have a discussion about that here on Loomio and a pull request on github.

Ok Iā€™m about to submit. Iā€™m considering what @goob said, but Iā€™m having trouble fitting it into those 117 characters.

I suggest we do:

ā€œReclaim your freedom in #2015! Join #DIASPORA, the ad free, privacy aware, SOCIAL NETWORK where YOU are in control!ā€

or

Break free in #2015! Join us on #DIASPORA, the ad free, privacy aware, SOCIAL NETWORK where YOU are in control!

or

Reclaim your #freedom, your #privacy and your #data in #2015! Join us on #DIASPORA* the open source social network!

@mflo what do you think?

Great, itā€™s about to start!

I like the ā€œbreak freeā€ one. it make think of the Queen song, itā€™s good !

I think I agree. Breaking free feels more powerful (and positive) than reclaimingā€¦

So weā€™ll go with that I guessā€¦

What supporters goal should we set? No Idea how this campaign will be received by the communityā€¦ my innitial post got a fair amount of reshares but not nothing too impressiveā€¦

You seem to be able to adjust the goal during the campaign. Should we be bold and shoot for 250 or 500 supporters, or maybe better to start at 100 and see how people respond?